Linux / win xp on gateway question

Discussion in 'Software' started by mtnbuff, Dec 3, 2009.

1. mtnbuff

mtnbuff Private E-2

I have a gateway model MX3230 w/intel celeron M and winxp home installed on it. My problem is I had to reload Win xp (via a borrowed install cd) due to a virus problem and now it is asking to validate WinXp. I went through the microsoft process and plugged in my key from my lic. tag on the bottom of the laptop. It then came back saying it was not a valid key so I contacted Microsoft. After a series of transfers to difffernt people(all of which spoke very broken english-so I knew I wasn't in Indiana anymore) and departments, they determined it was a valid key, but said I needed to either pay $59 for an install cd, or contact Gateway to get a new key code from them. So because MICROSOFT WAS NO HELP(with what I might add is a validated lic problem), and we are in such a wonderful economy I plugged on and called Gateway. Well, they also were no help but said for $59 I could purchase a series of cd's to reinstall everything. So, again because I don't have disposeable income lying around right now does anyone know of an operating system that I might be able to get free or for less?

I heard of linux and wondered about that, but searched forums and haven't found exactly what might help. If anyone has found a solution to this before I would greatly appreciate the heads up info. Thanks::(

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

You can put either Puppy Linux or with some tweaking install Ubuntu or Mint on the machine.

I would suggest visiting Malware section and making sure you do not have a BIOS virus TSR at boot.

3. mtnbuff

mtnbuff Private E-2

Where can you get Ubuntu or Mint? Is there a pre-load requirement? Like I said right now my system keeps asking to validate so will that be a problem during the process?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Live CDs can be downloaded as ISOs and burned. But, you do need a working computer to burn the ISO. If the one giving you the problem is your only computer then a linux live CD may not solve your current problem.

LinuxMint http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Ubuntu will ship you a CD free so if you can't burn your own, you will need to do it this way.
    https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
    it takes several weeks until you receive the CD.

Linux doesn't come with serial numbers, activation or checking for authentic editions. So, no, you will not be asked to validate anything nor enter any serial number or product key.

5. dolittlejerry

dolittlejerry Private E-2

Linux will come with all the drivers. You may want to install the video card drivers to get 3D to work on you desktop. Check with your Linux documentation to find out how to do install them.

6. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

it should auto-detect all installed hardware - any drivers that are old and out of date will be replaced the first time you update your system,

there is really no need to go searching for drivers, the only one you may, and only may, have an issue with is wireless

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds