Desktop fails to boot, 'no signal' from monitor, no beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hammered Pizza, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Hammered Pizza

Hammered Pizza Private E-2

Merry Christmas...

PC froze, Ctrl+Alt+Delete wasn't working, waited 30 minutes so I disconnected the power cord (on/off didn't work).

It now fails to boot. Turn it on, fans whirring, hard drive spinning, but no beep. Monitor displays 'no signal' (tried a different monitor). A couple days before it got to this stage, it gave me an blue screen (unexpected_kernel_mode_trap), but booted fine after that, not sure if related.

Keyboard and mouse both wired, both unresponsive (though they do power on).

Any questions, I'll try to answer as best I can.

Regards, HP.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just for future reference when your computer won't shutdown it is best to press and hold the power button for 6-10 seconds until it powers off.

Since the monitor is displaying the no signal message that means it is working. Your video card or video port is not sending a picture. I think I would reset CMOS and see if it makes a difference. Unplug from AC and remove the coin shaped battery for a minute. Then put battery back, plug in and try to boot. See if it makes any difference.

3. Hammered Pizza

Will resetting the CMOS through the jumpers work?

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes that is the same thing.

Usually, I would say reseat the video card if you have one but I don't see how it should have suddenly become loose and it is best to do one thing at a time. If resetting CMOS doesn't produce a change then you can go ahead and reseat your video card if you have one.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Also check that everything not needed for basic use is disconnected - modem cable, printer, external drive, USB sticks, etc.

6. Hammered Pizza

Sorry for being late, but Christmas and all that got in the way a bit.

All steps so far failing, reckon the mobo's gone on it?

7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try reseating your RAM and Graphics card again, if you have multiple sticks of ram installed only install one, if PC doesn't boot try the other stick and see if PC boots.

Do listen out for any PC beeps and let us know what they sounded like.

How or what type of cable are you connecting your monitor to the graphics card with VGA, DVI or HDMI? if your monitor & graphics card supports a different connection cable type try one of those.

Is your PC an OEM made one from say HP, DELL, SONY etc and if so what make and model is it, also if a home build PC then what motherboard make and model was installed, can get this off the motherboard itself, the name should be printed in it somewhere.

Just thinking if you have on-board video we could try that, by unplugging the stand alone graphics card, connecting the monitor to the on-board video connector and booting, the BIOS should switch over to the on-board card, this would be like installing a new graphics card so "if" this is and resolution issue we could get around this.

9. JonBoyFishhead

JonBoyFishhead Private First Class

Hi,

Usually when there is an obvious graphics problem, it's best to start in troubeshooting in the Northbridge of the chipset. This can be done by checking the RAM (Reseating each stick) and then checking your graphics card. (remove and try onboard graphics). the last component would be the processor, but the likely-hood of that being bad is very low. Also remember to try a 'Known Good' video cable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds