I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by eddiethehat, Jan 17, 2015.

1. eddiethehat

eddiethehat Private E-2

I decided this fine evening to run Malwarebytes and I had a PUP. I did a search and there it was in with a bunch of AVG files. I googled "AVG" and read about how bad it was and how it was almost impossible to get rid of and if you deleted it, like a bad penny, it would return. A bit later I was at the majors place browsin' around and noticed a program that would get rid of it. Naturally, I downloaded it and it worked!!! I was so happy that I decided to give the geek some cash. While I was looking for the donate icon I encountered a lot of the Geeks time spent patting themselves on the back for being so caring and benevolent. Then I saw an opportunity to download AVG! I thought WTF. I can make no sense of this - who can enlighten me?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

AVG is a Internet Security/Antivirus Program, much like Avast and Avira. What site told you how bad it is? And what did you download to remove it?

With the number of threats on the internet increasing by the hour, you must have an antivirus program, antimalware program and a firewall as the minimum.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

First...welcome to Major Geeks and thank you for donating. :)

As Eldon said, AVG is a legitimate antivirus program. People may not like it, but it's certainly not malware. Just out of curiosity, I googled "AVG" as you mentioned, and there was nothing that came up in the search other than their site and places to download it.

I have a feeling that you used the AVG Remover, which is actually provided by AVG themselves: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities It is not unusual to have to use a removal tool to uninstall all part of a security software. A well known one is the Norton Removal tool.

This doesn't make the programs bad.

4. eddiethehat

eddiethehat Private E-2

Thanks Laura and Eldon for the replies. I don't remember exactly where I was when I read that AVG chews up a whole bunch of memory (that's the AVG being bad part of my complaint). I wondered why my machine seemed to be running a bit slow. I decided to uninstall it but neither my 32 bit uninstaller program, REVO, nor my 64 bit uninstaller program, WISE, even listed it. Yes, it was AVG Remover that got rid of it. I've always been careful to opt out of the unwanted items while installing downloads. Now, I am finding out that the opt out opportunities are sometimes buried in the EULA which is often way to long to bother reading. Guess it's time to ramp up my paranoia a couple or three notches. These days there's always someone trying to **** you over for some loose change. I was going to a flick today but now I fear that six people are going to come in and shoot half the audience. Maybe I can hide under a seat . . .

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Out of curiosity, how do you define "truly free"?

I noticed that my favorite free AV of choice, Avast, didn't make your list and I'm curious as to why. :)

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Click the page. It's right there. Avast failed.

8. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Not truly free? Hm. It hasn't asked me to pay for anything, or threatened to remove features if I don't pay. There was an offer of a browser plug-in though, now that I think about it, but it was so brief I had blocked it out until reminded. I never installed the plug-in, which is why it didn't come to mind until I was forcibly reminded of it. :)

9. eddiethehat

eddiethehat Private E-2

I think that's great. I don't mind shareware, trialware, limitedware, payware, watermarks or nag screens but when some software company or author tries to pull a quickie and mess with your computer I become irate. And, when some download site permits this I become double mad.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds