Audiovisual editing recommendations, inc. Vegas Movie Studio and Pinnacle Studio

Discussion in 'Software' started by heathbug, Apr 21, 2007.

1. heathbug

heathbug Private E-2

confused I have tried Windows Movie Maker, which sucks, and Pinnacle Studio, (v. 8--it came with an old copy of "Digital Video for Dummies".). Pinnacle freezes under taskbar (see other post). I want this simply to edit my videos to put onto YouTube and LiveVideo, although later, more extensive use will be forthcoming. In perusing the various products, I see that they mention arranging video clips, but not cutting long clips into smaller, more manageable clips, which I need. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which software, preferably under $100, which might be easy and do what I want?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What format are the videos in? Avi, wmv? Just splitting videos into clips should be available in free programs.

3. heathbug

heathbug Private E-2

I don;t know what format they are in. Whatever comes out of the camcorder, is it. (As you can see, I am a complete novice when it comes to AV.) I know there are various formats, but do not know the difference, nor which is "best", if any, what they are for, why there are so many, etc. I imagine they are in AVI, as that seems to be the most popular, and what is made by Windows Movie Maker (aren't they?). I did today come across a free beta version of a simple cut and delete program which seems to do what I want to do for now. It's called "Naturpic Video Cutter"; I've downloaded it, and tried to run it, and get a "Stack Overflow Error". I assume it is because the movie is too big, but don't know. I plan on calling them in the morning when they're there to see what the problem is. Have you or anyone else heard of this program or this company? It sounds ideal; but, if it doesn't work...

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Open the folder containing one of your movies. Under Tools select Folder Options and under the View tab uncheck the box next to Hide Extensions for Known Filetypes. This will allow you to see the extension/filetype of your movie file.

If the movies are .avi, Virtual Dub or Virtual Dub Mod are quick and easy for splitting this type of file into clips. I have little experience except .avi. Videohelp.com is a great site for info on how to work with movie files and most software used is open source.

Since you're having trouble with Naturpic you might try EasyVideoSplitter if your format is covered in their software. It has a 30 day free trial. I'm not recommending purchase $29.95 is a lot to just split movies and the more advanced software you're looking at for future use will undoubtedly accomplish this simple task easily. But no harm in seeing if it is useful for the task at hand. http://www.doeasier.org/splitter/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds