Replaced LCD-now no power :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by annenap, Nov 12, 2010.

1. annenap

annenap Private E-2

I replaced the LCD on a Presario X6000. Initially, it powered up with no video. I began disassembling it and now I can't power it up at all. I'm guessing it might be the LED board, the connectors, or a short circuit. The problem is, how can I troubleshoot it?

Here is a link to the service manual, which better illustrates what I'm referring to: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00778754.pdf

I really need to resuscitate this computer. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

2. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Are you getting any kind of reaction from the comp. when you hit the power switch? Light, fan, HDD, anything?

3. annenap

annenap Private E-2

It's completely dead.

4. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Take off your switch cover again and check to make sure that the ribbon cable for the LED board is seated properly. The connector can be pretty touchy sometimes. Use a small jewellers screwdriver, or something similar, to gently ease out the brown clip. Put your ribbon cable in, making sure it goes all the way in, then use the screwdriver to press the brown clip back into place. Be carefull not to damage the cable in the process though. Sometimes those cables look like they're seated properly, but they're actually not all the way in.

5. annenap

annenap Private E-2

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I tried what you suggested and got the same result. Do you think I should just start replacing things? I was thinking of doing that, but I'm worried that I might waste money on a new ribbon cable, LED board, etc...and it could wind up being a short in the MB. For the first time, I feel like I might be SOL.

6. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Your issue started with the LCD replacement, so try disconnecting the screen from the mobo and see if the computer starts. I don't think it will but give it a shot anyway. If it doesn't start, I would be inclined to say the LED board is at fault, but it's hard to say for sure. Another thing to check, is whether your AC adapter is putting out power. If you have a multimeter check the output of teh adapter, and if it's good, remove the battery and try it with nothing but the adapter for power.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds