Java Versions to Keep?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ldmetott, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ldmetott

ldmetott Private E-2

I just downloaded the latest version Java (TM) Update 21.
    Java DB 10.5.3.0 and Java (TM) SE Development Kit Update 19 are also listed in my Programs file. Do I keep both of those?
    Thank you,
    Lori

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Lori

Are you a developer of Java applications? if not then remove the Developement kit version.

3. ldmetott

ldmetott Private E-2

Halo,
    Ok, I will remove the development kit version.
    What is Java DB 10.5.3.0 then? Do I need that one?
    Thank you for your help.
    Lori

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Java DB is the database part of the development kit; if you don't use it, you can also remove it.

Standard users (non-developers) just need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE).

5. ldmetott

ldmetott Private E-2

Thanks so much...
    L

6. bugabug

bugabug Guest

previously i had Java DB 10.5.3.0
    Java™ 6 Update 22
    Java™ SE Development Kit 6 Update 22

i uninstalled all 3 ,after that i installed java 7 update25,after that i didnt found javadb,where it comes from?

7. bugabug

bugabug Guest

previously i had Java DB 10.5.3.0
    Java™ 6 Update 22

i uninstalled all 3 ,after that i installed java 7 update25,after that i didnt found javadb,where it comes from?

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. bugabug

bugabug Guest

10. plodr

11. bugabug

bugabug Guest

first of all make me clear,previously in my system i had i had
    Java DB 10.5.3.0
    Java™ 6 Update 22
    i had uninstalled all 3 and installed java7u25 pack,after that i got
    Java™ 7 Update 25
    Java™ SE Development Kit 7 Update 25
    now java db is missing?

so here my doubt javadb10.5.3.0 comes from which software?i didnt instaled javadb particularly,previously in my system i had java6u22,tomcat webserver,netbeans.where it comes from ?

12. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

As stated back in reply #4, you only need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). In other words, you should only have one Java item in Programs and Features. The latest version is Java 7 Update 25 and that is what you should see in Programs and Features.

If you went to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html, as advised by plodr, you would see a button to download JRE: (Java Runtime Environment). Clicking it takes you to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html where you select the appropriate download for your OS. Installing it will put Java 7 Update 25 in your Programs and Features list of installed programs. You should also then have a Java icon in your Control Panel. I don't how we can make this anymore clear to you.

13. plodr

Probably part of the bloatware installed by the manufacturer of your computer.

14. bugabug

bugabug Guest

i already updated to java7u25,which software installs deafault javadb10.5.3.0

15. bugabug

bugabug Guest

finally problem solved,javadb10.5.3.0 comes when installing java6u22,if i need jdb means where should i get

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  16. bugabug

bugabug Guest

if i need jdb means where should i get

17. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

No, it does not. The image below is what you should have in your Control Panel:

[​IMG]

I have no idea what that string of words means. Some effort on grammar would help the communication in the forum.

18. bugabug

bugabug Guest

yeah i installed java7u25 version.
    sorry its not a grammar mistake,its not jdb,if i need javadb ,how should i get it?

19. plodr

Download it from Oracle. I posted the download link in post #8 in this thread.

20. bugabug

bugabug Guest

yeah i downloaded the java7u25 ,the link which you provided to me,but i didnt find javadb

21. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

22. plodr

Three download buttons
    [​IMG]
    read the description and pick all or none.

IMHO, you are loading your computer with something you do not need.
    Did you know that is 2012 Java was responsible for the cause of 92% of the malware infections?
    I have Jave JRE installed on only one computer in the house (we currently have 9) and on that one I have it disabled.

23. bugabug

bugabug Guest

yeah i click jdk and downloaded its size is 89mb,but in my system i didnt found javadb after installing this

but there is no download option
    in this link i didnt found any download option

24. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

bugabug, you have never answered this question. Are you a Java app developer or not?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  25. bugabug

bugabug Guest

yes iam java developer

26. bugabug

bugabug Guest

yes iam java developer

27. bugabug

bugabug Guest

waiting for u reply

28. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

29. bugabug

bugabug Guest

ok i got it,let me make simple ,dont want to increase the post,when i installed java6u22 i got javadb10.5.3.0 in java 6,but why its not present in java7u25,when i installed i didnt get javadb?dis is the doubt which i have raised from my first post to last post in this thread

the above link which i click download button it goes to this link http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...ds-database-419422.html#JavaDB-10.5.3.0-M-G-F but i didnt found javadb10.5.3.0

30. plodr

Because v7 is written different than v6.
    [​IMG]

Stated twice on the Oracle site. In the 3rd sentence and in the 2nd to last line Included in the JDK.

31. bugabug

bugabug Guest

but it is not included in jdk7,
    when i click the download button it goes to this link,but i didnt found jdb to download

32. bugabug

bugabug Guest

waiting for reply

33. bugabug

bugabug Guest

34. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

It's a whole bunch of components, but I do not know which is doing what, as I don't use JavaDB (using MS SQL & PostgreSQL).

35. bugabug

bugabug Guest

oh ok,what can i do

36. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

37. bugabug

bugabug Guest

i had doubt is that derby refers to javadb?i found db folder in java1.7.0_25 folder,then i found Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_25\db\RELEASE-NOTES.html
    it shows ie Release Notes for Apache Derby 10.8.2.2

but when i refer to this linkhttp://docs.oracle.com/javadb/index.html
    it shows Java DB 10.8.3.0 Technical Documentation

so iam totally confused

38. bugabug

bugabug Guest

waiting for reply

39. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

40. bugabug

bugabug Guest

ok thanks for ur replies

41. bugabug

bugabug Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds