Recovery Console Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by womfalcs7, May 11, 2006.

1. womfalcs7

womfalcs7 Private First Class

I haven't backed up everything on my computer and as I as uninstalling IE7b2, the computer faltered. I can't launch explorer.exe, I can't hook up external hard drives, and I can't launch most applications...some work but not those I need. I would format and reinstall but I need most of the file I haven't backed up.

USB drives work but the maximum size any my family has is 512 MB. All of the folders I need backed up are beyond 1 GB (I can't use my external HD). The only way I can access my files and folders is through task manager's run which doesn't allow me to select multiple entities at once.

I'm having trouble with unregistered/missing dll files...I tried regsvr32, etc but failed on all files attempted.

Those dll files I'm having trouble with include
    normaliz.dll
    iertutil.dll
    ieframe.dll
    newdev.dll

I tried replacing those I could download for free online but it still coudn't work.

Recovery Console:

I've tried fixing the MBR, ran the command bootcfg /rebuild but neither did the trick. I don't know what to do there anymore besides that.

Is there anyway I can restore my system to a previous state? I can't run the system restore .exe file because it needs iertutil.dll. I need those files, I can't go on without them. Thanks.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

You could try this>>

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
    To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
    1. Start your computer.
    2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
    3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
    4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

If that doesn't work try reinstalling windows, not formatting, to get those files you need backed up.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Don't forget to grab the latest updates as re-installing wipes those out. Everything else should be fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds