Xp Nightmare

Discussion in 'Software' started by msoobe-noob, Mar 14, 2007.

1. msoobe-noob

msoobe-noob Private E-2

Hi I just did a xp pro upgrade from home and found I have the registration key symbol in my task bar which keeps telling me I have 30days left to register windows. I click on the symbol and the following happens: Microsoft Out of Box Experience has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. the error signature is as follows: AppName: msoobe.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.0 ModName: urlmon.dll
    ModVer: 6.0.2900.2823 Offset: 0000381c.

I have tried uninstalling IE7 which has also bombed out along with windows update with the following message: The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context. Also this prevents you from doing any updates because the activation key hasn't been activated.

I have searched the net and similar topics lean towards the license key not being valid but i'm sure it is so please can anyone shed any light this matter or do I just wipe and start from scratch

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Is there any chance that someone else has used that key? Perhaps seen it on your box, written it down and taken it home to use?

What I'm thinking, is that even if your key is a legal and valid one, if it's been used elsewhere, it will probably now be on the pirated keys list that Microsoft holds. When your computer contacts Microsoft, it sends the key along with a code which is worked out by looking at the hardware in your computer. If another computer has sent the key and its' hardware code to Microsoft, it will more than likely have been flagged and put on the pirated list and can no longer be used. People occasionally run into this problem when upgrading hardware with legitimate keys but it can be fixed up by contacting Microsoft.

If you are certain that your upgrade is legal and valid, I strongly recommend giving Microsoft a ring (check your phone book, there's bound to be a Microsoft number to ring) and just run it past them. If you can prove it's a legal copy (original key, docket from purchase, etc) you should be able to get a new registration key if yours has been pirated, although they might charge you about $10-20 for it. If you bought it from a shop and the key hadn't been out of the box until you used it, then you definitely need to ask them about it.

You don't necessarily pay for the support over the phone, only your call costs to your phone company. I've spoken to Microsoft a few times, once to get a key for my Office package because I couldn't find the key, and now I think about it, I don't think they were going to charge me for a new key - it might be a new CD they charge for if you can prove ownership. Not sure, because while I was on the phone I was looking for something else they asked about and found the key had been put in the wrong box by mistake so I never did get a key from them in the end. Anyway, they won't charge you for asking what they charge for!

But this sounds like a call to Microsoft could be in order. All the best!

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

start, run

type

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Click ok, it should succeed.

Then try again.

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I was gonna suggest re-registering the .dll's with Dial-A-Fix; kind of an expanded version of what Adrynalyne suggested..... and maybe use DAF to repair Windows Updates while you're at it...

5. msoobe-noob

msoobe-noob Private E-2

Thanks for the help the culprit was IE7, for some reason when it un installed it left some files behind which i removed with start-->run-->C:\WINDOWS\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

I did try
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll

which I was hoping would do the trick but because the IE7 was still lurking in the reg it wouldn't work but spuninst.exe got rid of it. So i'm making sure IE7 is also removed prior to the rest of the upgrades I need to do.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds