Home Networking Design Advice Needed - Wireless?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spartyguy, Jun 18, 2004.

1. spartyguy

spartyguy Private E-2

I'm moving into a new place in a heavily populated area (security, yikes!) and I thought I'd ask for advice. It's a 3 flat OLD apartment building in Chicago, and I don't want to run wires all over my apartment.

First off, I will be using Comcast High Speed Internet. I also currently have the Microsoft Wireless G Router that I'm using with my work laptop. I can't use WPA due to using Win2k on my work laptop.

1) In my living room, I have a PVR and PS2 that I will want to connect to my network.
    2) In my den, I have 2 boxes (one xp, one linux) that I will want to connect to my network.
    3) I also have a work laptop that I can use on the Wireless network throughout the apartment.
    4) The PVR (ReplayTV) can connect to one of my PC's with software and I can record shows to my PC if the connection is quick enough.

My question is, what is the advice on the most secure way to share a cable modem and network all of my devices through my apartment without using wires with the layout I've explained? Should I go wireless or go with an electrical networking solution between the two major points (living room and den)? I will basically need two hubs (one in the living room, one in the den). I typically turn on my wireless only when I'm using it due to the security concerns.

Thanks for any help!

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

if the router supports mac address filtering, that should keep most people out. It filters computers by the ID of their wireless networking card and doesn't allow connections with machines not on the allow list. MAC addresses can be spoofed to allow access to the router, but it's not too easy to do, and the person trying to gain access would probably just go find an unprotected router.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Unless some one is deliberately after you WEP will do.

Link to: Link: Wireless Security.

:cool:

4. spartyguy

spartyguy Private E-2

I'm currently using MAC addressing and my SSID is not being broadcast, so I am already doing that. How often is it recommended to change the WEP, and is there an easy tool to do so?

Also since going wireless is the best way to connect all my boxes, would you recommend that I get USB wireless G devices for my Windows XP and Mandrake Linux box, or should I get another access point and place that in my den and connect the two boxes via ethernet to the access point?

5. spartyguy

spartyguy Private E-2

What is the best way to connect multiple devices in two seperate room with a wireless network?

- 1 room has 2 systems
    - 1 room has 3 devices to hook up to the wireless router

Do I put a wiress pci/usb card in each of the systems, or can I hub both of them and somehow connect 1 single point in that room to the wireless network?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds