Installing Old printer on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joe berg, Sep 16, 2010.

1. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Hi

Shiny new laptop with windows 7. Brother MFC-5840CN All in One printer. Seems Never the Twain shall meet. The install disc wont do W7 The install printer wizard cant find the printer. I went to windows updates and the model is not in their list and was redirected to download Bradmin Professional. Rebooted and tried again but no luck. Any ideas ?

Joe

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

If Windows Update can't find a driver for it, you may be out of luck.

As you still have the original install CD, you may get it working from Device Manager, right-click your Computer name > Add legacy hardware and follow the wizard.

3. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Thanks for the advise but I fear you maybe right. I tried you idea of the legacy (which I have never heard of so at least I have learnt something ) but it tells me the disc does not contain a compatable software driver required. I wont give up though. :)

Joe

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

You might try the Vista drivers for that model located here - make sure you uninstall all previous attempts, and disconnect the printer from your computer before attempting to install the new software.

5. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

As we say in Bristol

Well fair play my babber, you've cracked it !:)

Many Thanks Caliban

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Glad you got it, and thanks for the feedback! :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds