flopp wont stay formated?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jarcher, Jun 9, 2004.

1. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

I'll go to save a file to a floppy disc, any file any type. I can open, save everything untill I pull the dic out. when I put it back in, the disc is no longer formated. What gives?

2. Astroman

Astroman Private E-2

3. jarcher

that didn't answer any questions, really. It just looked like more complaints. What am I soposed to do?

4. jarcher

some one help please

5. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

okay i take it this happens with more than one disc, floppys do go bad from time to time, maybe if its old might be time to get a new one they are so dirt cheap these days
    Or burn your data onto cd, and if you aint got a CD burner might be worth forgetting the floppy and treat yourself to one, also really cheap these days ;)

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Chuck the floppy, or if it keeps happening, chuck the drive. Both are a cheap as ... well, yeah ;) ... so you arn't going to be in too much trouble.

Floppies are prone to corruption, from just sitting about and being exposed to magnetic fields (like the ones around your tv or monitor, or speakers) and do go bad quite often. Best you can do to prevent this is to put them in a sheilded box, or at least SOME sort of box.

7. jarcher

well there not exactly, old, maybe a year. and i keep them in a clear case in my closet in the other room. I am trying to write a book ( not that anyone really cares,or would belive that) and i need to open them and edit them an re-save them from time to time. So burning them would do no good. or just be a waste.

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Hmm ... well why not save it on your hard drive? and just burn backups every now and then, so if your machine dies you dont loose too much data?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds