System appears to shutdown randomly & Monitor loses signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jaded, May 28, 2005.

1. Jaded

Jaded Private E-2

I recently put together my first computer (with much help from a friend far more knowledgable in this field than myself) and was able to get everything up and running fine. My problem is that sometimes my Monitor stops working. A couple of times when I started my computer I know something is working (as I hear the sound of windows start) but my monitor shows nothing, just a "No Signal" indication before going into its standby mode. A restart or two usually fixes this though it does annoy me.

My next problem seems related, and only occurs while gaming. I installed Guild Wars on this computer and was able to start it up and run it just fine. However shortly after playing (within 5-10 minutes) my monitor goes black and gives me the same "No Signal" message just as above. Only this time the sound also stops. The harddrive light shows nothing but the system power is still on, it's as if the computer just stops dead. Any ideas as to what may cause this? Here's some info on this system:

AMD Athlon64 300+
    ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe Motherboard
    XFX nVidia GeForce 6600 GT 128MB PCI-Express x16
    (w/ DirectX 9.0 if that is relevant)
    1024MB Corsair memory (XMS series I believe it was)
    Western Digital Caviar SE Harddrive (200GB)

I have some software that came with the motherboard that monitors the temperature of the CPU while in windows. I used it to watch the temperature while running Guild Wars windowed. The highest it ever got was 41C so I don't think this is a cooling problem. And if I remember correctly it did shutdown same as I described above at 41C.

Also, a friend of mine suggested I use a benchmark program to test how this system handles intense conditions, I tried using Aqua Mark 3D but I got errors during installation (something about a corrupt installation file I think). Does anyone have any suggestions of a good program to use to benchmark? (preferably free :D )

2. Jaded

Jaded Private E-2

Sorry if double posting isn't allowed, but I couldn't find an edit button and this thread's already on the second page.

Just a quick update:

didn't say anything bout my PSU earlier, it's a 500W Rosewill
    There is a small switch on the PSU that is currently set on 115, I THINK it's referring to voltage but that's really just a wild guess on my part. No manual came with it so I don't know for sure.

Also I tried running Guild Wars again windowed for a while. I was able to play for a bout a half hour or so and it never shut off like it did before. (Like I said in the last post, I dont remember if this was the case last time I tried running GW windowed, bad memory heh...) I'm trying to figure out how to run Bloodlines in a window to see if that has something to do with the problem. Any ideas on what this could be? Hoping this helps.

3. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Yeah, that should be the voltage setting. If you normally get 110 - 120 volts, like in USA, keep it where it is. Otherwise, it could be PSU = kaboom, time for new one.

Also, have you updated your graphics or any other driver recently? Are the fans in your case running when the monitor loses the signal? Is the graphics card seated properly?

Just something to get you started...

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds