How do I fix an error code 1392

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GEEK WANNABE, Aug 9, 2010.

1. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

I have an HP laptop and it's getting an error code 1392. It trys to boot up and just before I get the desktop page to show, I get a blue screen and and a box stating, loadkey failed with error code 1392. It's my daughters laptop and I need to get it working so she can have it for school and I can't afford another one. I'm a little computer savvy. Help please.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

is there a numeric type error code that goes along with it as well? (i.e. 0x0000009c, or something like it? )

also, what operating system is it. Can you boot into safemode?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  4. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

There is a sequence of numbers that follows that error code but I can't make them out on the screen. I'm running Vista and i can't get into safe mode without the error code popping up. I checked everywhere for an answer before coming here I'm miffed.

5. plodr

Again I ask, What model is the HP laptop?

6. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

It's an HP Pavilion that's about 1 1/2 old.

7. plodr

Still doesn't help. Do you know how many models there are? I'm not about to search until I know the exact model.

8. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

Ok I'm going to bring this to the top because I still haven't fixed the problem and My daughter needs a laptop. The model is HP Pavilion DV4-1125NR. Stil can't get rid of the error and I can't afford a new laptop. Pleas help.

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

10. plodr

Scroll to Symptom: Error Message on Blue Screen
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...product=3795293&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N820

Possible cause: There is a conflict when loading drivers and services.
    Can usually be resolved by installing updated drivers or changing the loading sequence.

and this
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...c=en&product=3795293&tmp_track_link=ot_search

Then this for the Windows error of 1392
    1392 The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Sounds like a repair install of the OS would be the way to go.

11. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

I can't install that program because the laptop doesn't boot up. I only get the blue screen.

12. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you have any recovery options by hitting F11 during the Compaq/HP logo screen?

[It looks like 1392 has to do with file system corruption] If you have no recovery discs and F11 gives you no options then maybe try to download and burn the Vista Recovery disc that will let you run a chkdsk command to attempt to fix errors. http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ It looks like you would want the 64bit option. It looks like they charge for direct download now--are you familiar with using torrents?

13. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

No I don't have no recovery discs and If I try to boot up by pressing f11, it still goes to the blue screen and the error code. I never tried a Torrent but I'm willing to. Any advice?

14. sach2

Torrents are really fairly simple. Since you are just downloading the one torrent no need to worry about optimizing settings.

Just get utorrent and install go with the defaults as far as speed goes. There are plenty of people sharing that file so no need to optimize. Then go to the neowin site and click the Vista 64 recovery disc torrent option. It should download the tiny file and either open it in utorrent or you can double-click the downloaded .torrent file and it should open in utorrent. Let utorrent begin downloading. It takes a while to download but with the high number of people sharing it should not be much slower than a direct download would be.

I'm out for a couple of hours but post back with any problems with getting the torrent started. [I think since utorrent went commercial there may be something like a toolbar offer in the installer. So read the screens carefully during install to say no to any toolbars or extras.]

15. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

I got the file on to disc and I'm installing it. It gave me an option to a repair which I picked and then I rebooted but nothing changed so I reinstalled the disc and choose the option of running windows recovery and starts up but wants my product which I don't have and can't find. So now I'm stuck.

16. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

Is there a way to look up the product key in bios or someplace else?

17. sach2

I was going to suggest just using the command line option to do a chkdsk /r. The command line option is under "Repair".

I don't think that disc can actually install Vista it is just the recovery part of the installation CD. You should have a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with a 25 digit key but I'm not sure the disc will accept it.

18. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

Yes the product is under the laptop but it is worn out. So you suggest i do command prompt through DOS? It seems like I can't even get into DOS. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. OK. I'm lost.

19. sach2

I have never used that disk but it should have a command line DOS option in the Repair section. It would be similar to Recovery Console for XP.

It should not need a key code. [I'm downloading a copy of the disc to see the options]

20. sach2

Let's see you get to the first screen for Choose language and go to Next.
    Then at the bottom left you choose Repair.
    Does it find your Vista Installation?

21. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

It gives me 2 options to repair. One is HP recovery manager and the other is windows vista home.I've tried both of these and it sends me to system recovery options and I've tried all the options including system start up repair. It starts the process and then jumps me back to the system recovery options screen.I've tried all the options, start up repair, system restore, windows complete pc restore, windows memory diagnostic tool and command prompt. When I went into command prompt and typed inchkdsk/r it said,windows cannot run disk checking on this volume it is write protected.

22. sach2

Ok, I'll look into that disk a bit more to see why it won't let you do the chkdsk. From command prompt try doing a dir C: command and see if it lists Windows and Users folders (in other words it looks like it is the Windows partition). If it does try chkdsk /r C: and see if it goes through.

23. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

I went into command prompt and typed in chkdsk /r C:
    It ran a check disc for a few minutes and now it says, 512 security descriptors processed. Security verification complete. What next?

24. sach2

It should still have two more stages to go through (5 in total--security descriptors is stage 3). Did it go back to a command prompt or is it just a blinking cursor. Give another minute or two.

25. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

Ok it's gone thru 5 of 5 stages. now I have the blinking line.

26. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

It also says, Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

27. sach2

Your back to a prompt like X:\Sources> then just type exit and reboot without the Cd and see if any change in startup.

28. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

I'm sorry to say, nothing has changed, Still have the blue screen of death with the error code right in the middle of it.

29. sach2

I'm not sure what else to try. This is a slightly different error http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=189755 but trying the fix could be an option. When you try Startup Repair you get no messages like the OP's in his first post?

One thought is that Hp can send out recovery media for usually less than $20. They have the advantage of allowing you to reload Vista from scratch and have the license key already inserted. [In the case of your model, HP appears to have messed up the recovery manager. So users that burnt recovery CDs on their own found they did not work. They patched this later but recommend people that had already burned their won CDs contact them for a replacement. (You might even be able to get them for free if you tell them your recovery CDs don't work)]

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&cc=us&os=2100&product=3795293&sw_lang=

30. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

Thanks for all the help. What if I was to go buy windows 7. Do you think it will install over vista?

31. sach2

It's been a while since I installed win7. I believe it if you were to install it, it would look for a valid copy of Vista and then offer to do a fresh install (preferred over upgrade). I don't think it matters whether Vista is working or not.

I'm going to continue looking around for anything specific to your model. I just want to be certain that F11 at startup does not start the recovery manager. [It is doubly annoying that both Vista and the recovery partition don't seem to go through the repair motions]

32. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

If worse come worse, I'll go by Windows 7 and be done with Vista. I don't want spend the money but if I have to then so be it. Thanks again for having patience with me. Alex

33. sach2

You're welcome. There are some faqs if you are trying to purchase the upgrade edition of Win7. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/upgrading-to-windows-7-frequently-asked-questions

You were running Windows Vista Home Premium so you can only upgrade to either: Windows 7 Home Premium, or Windows 7 Ultimate

And you have to have that Vista partition still on the HD in order to use the upgrade. Once you get past the entering the key part then there is a custom option where you can choose to format the old Vista partition and start fresh which makes sense at this point.

The HP recovery discs really aren't a bad option. They usually only take about 5 days and they only charge shipping and a few dollars for the CD. I still think you might get them to waive the cost but I haven't dealt with HP since back when it was Compaq several years ago.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds