Hard Drive Affect Internet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spawndemon0, Mar 19, 2010.

1. spawndemon0

spawndemon0 Corporal

does how cluttered your hard drive determine how fast a page loads?
    cause I Cleaned my Hard Drives up and as I did my internet loaded the pages faster for some reason, so I suppose it does affect it somehow? or is it just my imagination?:confused

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Mostly imagination.

3. spawndemon0

spawndemon0 Corporal

well I suppose that settles that

4. spawndemon0

spawndemon0 Corporal

but why is my internet so slow now?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Some basics first,

What Windows version and Service Pack?
    What Browser?
    What ISP?
    What Security apps?

Hard Drive should not determine internet speed, but a full one may add to some issues with data transfer and saving of temp internet files, so what free space has your HDD?

Have you cleaned your cookies and temps?
    Have you defragged?
    Have you disables your security apps and tested the internet for surfing and speed? too many security apps of the same ilk can cause slow internet.

What speed internet have you paid for?
    What is your DL / UP speeds and use speedtest for this, run it a few time and get the best speed.

6. spawndemon0

spawndemon0 Corporal

Windows XP SP3
    Google Chrome/Firefox
    Cleaned cookie and Temp
    Can't defrag C drive for some odd reason
    and there aren't any security apps
    Cable internet
    idk the rest

7. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

There could be many reasons as to why the "Internet" appears to be slow.

Things running in your machine competing for processor, memory or IO resources.

Things running on your network competing for bandwidth.

The WEB server you are accessing is busy

Lots more information is required.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Ok

Is the internet slow with IE?
    What messages do you get whe trying to defrag? if the inbuilt defrag try AusLogics Free Defrag HERE

No Security apps? so have you now scanned for malware as that is a good cause of poor internet speeds?

Cable Internet.. great but with what ISP and what speed is your paid for service?
    I Dont Know the rest also which is why we ask questions...... Speedtest is simple to use, please do answer all questions if possible as they do help and we/I dont ask them for fun, they do help build a picture of what the issue could be and a speedtest of your internet vs the speed your are paying for will help.

What free space does your HDD have? right click the C: drive and choose Properties and whats the free sapce?

9. spawndemon0

spawndemon0 Corporal

I don't use IE that mess is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too slow
    and I reinstalled AVG and scanned and got nothing and then Uninstalled it cleaned my registry and ran Ccleaner to try and defrag abit but when I try to defrag my C drive I get
    Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume:(C:), Please run Chkdsk /f

i tried it before, and it doesn't do diddly

and its got about a GB left 1.53...thats due to my inability to defrag the butthole surfer

and I think 300mbps idk I don't really handle the ISP
    I just know this internet should run really fast

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds