Flashing yellow bell--is it a virus?

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Oct 20, 2004.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Hello. All of a sudden, I found a flashing yellow bell in my system tray. When I rested the cursor over it, this message showed up: "Get your treats for Halloween." I right-clicked and got two options: "Open Message" and "Leave It." I left it, but the flashing yellow bell remains. I'm sure I haven't requested anything like it. I scanned with Avast and Adaware. Nothing. House Call isn't working right now. Spyware Blaster is working. Do I have a virus? Please help.

2. Frodo

Frodo Private E-2

Hi,
    You dont say which email you are using but if you are using Yahoo and have hte explorer bar from them it indicates that you have unread mail.

It may contain a virus. If you use POP3 mail then try POPMAN
    www.ch-software.de/popman it allows you to not only see your mail on the server without the images and attachments but allows you to delete it also

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I should have noted that I am using IncrediMail. It has a depiction of an envelope in my system tray, as usual. I am receiving e-mails as usual, including the notification that someone had replied to my message to MajorGeeks. I can't find anything in my IncrediMail program that pertains to a flashing yellow bell. I'm afraid to click the "Open Message" button that I mentioned above. Does anyone know how I can get the bell off the system tray? Thanks.

4. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Well, it's gone. I right-clicked the IncrediMail envelope in the system tray, clicked "Exit," and when the envelope disappeared, so did the flashing yellow bell. When I opened IncrediMail again, there was no bell in the tray. I don't pretend to understand it, but I guess it did have something to do with IncrediMail, as Star17 thought. Thanks to Star17 and to Frodo for responding.

5. Strangerer

Strangerer Private E-2

I have this Bell too. I did as you did but mine comes back soon after relaunching Incredimail. Anymore ideas much appreciated.

6. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

Incredimail uses the flashing bell to notify you of a message they have sent you. Usually it's for something they want you to buy.
    Regards, Blueheeler.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds