Advanced Window Care

Discussion in 'Software' started by redryder, Mar 4, 2008.

1. redryder

redryder Private First Class

I use Windows XP SP2. I downloaded Advanced Care and really like it, but have one problem or question. Recently when I Scan for infections, it always reports that there are 20 unimmunized items. I click Apply Settings, it scans and adds these 20 items and fixes them. But, the next time I scan, these same items are listed unimmunized. So, is it really fixing the problem items or do they somehow just reappear? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
    Red

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

That's a really good question ;) I have used AWC off and on for some time, but I haven't used it recently.... give me some time to check this out and if I come up with something, I'll post it here. In the meantime, someone else will probably come along with a MUCH better answer than "I'll get back to you" ;)

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I use AWC daily, and cannot remember seeing this warning. Can you post a screenshot? Bazza

4. Bomba

Bomba Private First Class

Did you remember to check all the boxes?

5. redryder

Yes, I always click the "select all" button and then the button that scans and after the scan, it shows at the top of the page that all are counted as fixed.
    Don't know much about screen shot. Could you advise me how to do it.
    Thanks for all who responded.
    Red

6. bigbazza

How to do a screen capture
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33166

Some other threads. Choose which is easier for you.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39493
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42734
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88274

Personally I use Gadwin Printscreen from http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/ for partial capture of my screen display.

Bazza

===

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  7. cobrajet431

cobrajet431 Private First Class

Redryder,

Do you have Spybot S&D and/or SpywareBlaster installed?

I can't speak for Win XP with IE7, but I know that Advanced Windows Care Personal doesn't play nice with Spybot and SpywareBlaster on a Win2K w/ IE6, which is what I run.

I had all three programs running together a few months ago and I saw a thread in the Spybot forums from a person whose Internet Explorer 'managed sites list' (Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Web Sites > Edit)
    stopped at the letter C. I checked mine and sure enough, the last entry in my IE6 list was colorfulcollarcompany. (My Firefox list ran the whole way through Z as expected.)

SO... I emptied the list and re-immunized with Spybot, then SpywareBlaster, and the list went through Z. I then added AWC's immunization and again the list stopped at C.
    SO... I did a clean uninstall of all three and then reinstalled them in every possible arrangement. In every arrangement when I put AWC into the mix, the list got cut off at C. (I emptied the list in between every trial.)

After having used the immunization feature of AWC, it didn't even matter if I disabled it later, AWC still caused the glitch: after repopulating the list and running AWC with immunization un-checked, the list again stopped at the letter C. I eventually uninstalled AWC and repopulated the list with Spybot and SpywareBlaster.

I also ran the same tests when Spybot updated to v1.5 (to see if it was Spybot v1.4.xxx that caused the glitch)... with the same results; and I did it again just a couple of days ago when SpywareBlaster updated to v4.0 (to see if it was the SpywareBlaster v3.xxx that caused it) and in all instances, it was Advanced Windows Care that caused the glitch.

Now if you have neither Spybot nor SpywareBlaster, then I just contributed a bunch of irrelevant information to the discussion, but if you have either of them, perhaps you'd like to check the things I mentioned.

8. redryder

Yes, I have Spybot and Spyware Doctor,so the problem may be the programs don't like each other. I may just uninstall Window Care although I like the ease of operation. I may try Spyblaster. I've heard that it is good. Will it do all the things that Window Care does? Thanks to all who answered. This is a great group. Keep up the good work.
    Red

9. bigbazza

Sorry, but I've gotta disagree with cobrajet431.

I am currently running AWC (latest version) and Spybot S&D (latest version) including Tea Timer live, and have done so through various versions of both programs for ages now, with no clashes or complications.

I don't use SpywareBlaster or Spyware Doctor, so can't comment on these programs. I do, however, close down Spybot Tea timer (and all my other open programs after logging off the NET and before my daily PC housekeeping which includes running AWC and others), so this may be the reason I have no troubles.

I recommend and/or install both programs, on any PC that people ask for my help.

Major Geeks recently added AWC to the "Must have FREE downloads" page
    under http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20 with the
    I would much rather run AWC as it gives "one tool" to check a PC.

I am using XP Pro, SP2 and lots of updates, and have used them both programs on W98SE. I have not tried them on Windows 2000 yet.

Bazza

10. cobrajet431

Bazza :major ,
    Did you verify that your IE managed web sites list goes the whole way thru "Z" ?

Red,
    SpywareBlaster(*) blocks Active X installations and blocks unwanted cookies much the same as Spybot S&D's "SD Helper." To be honest they have a lot of redundant coverage and I'm not real sure how much protection SpywareBlaster adds that isn't covered by Spybot. (But that's about all it does.)

You probably won't find a better all-around tool than AWC, and I'm sorry if I implied that you should get rid of it; that's just the route that I took, and as a matter of fact, I'm actually re-thinking it. Since I rarely use IE anyhow (I prefer Firefox), the greater good that AWC does probably outweighs the glitch that (I believe) it causes in my IE managed web sites list.

BTW, did you check your IE managed web sites list as I described in my first post?

(*) If you are interested in SpywareBlaster, make sure that's how it's spelled... one word, and that it's made by Javacool Software. (There's a rogue one out there too, using two words in the name.)

Interested in hearing if your's and Bazza's IE lists go the whole way thru Z.

11. bigbazza

I don't use IE (v6), or very rarely, I am currently using Opera v9.26 so I don't know what you mean. If you are talking about IE Favourites, the last one I have listed starts with "R". I don't know if I am missing any from "S" to "Z" as I don't use IE enough to spot / know if any are missing. Bazza

PS: Guess I could create some for Yahoo, ZDNet. etc., and see if AWC wipes them. :D Would this be what you are getting at?

Bazza

===

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  12. redryder

I never us IE. I use Firefox. I never did like IE. I went to Spy Doctor and got rid of the list there. I went back to AWC and run the scans again This time it came up with just 4 items. I fixed them and later I went back to see if it worked and it showed no items unimmunized so, I thought all is well, but today I ran it again and the same 20 items were there again,unimunized . I beleive it is just a glitch so I'm going to keep AWC and also keep using the rest of my protection. I guess none are perfect. Thanks guys for all the information. I keep learning with every problem that you help me solve.
    Red

13. cobrajet431

Bazza / Red

I'm not talking about IE Favorites, I'm talking about the place on Internet Explorer where you can tell it to never accept cookies from certain sites.

>>> This is the list that Spybot, SpywareBlaster, and AWC all contribute to from their individual immunization features. On IE6 it's called "Managed Web Sites" and you can find it by opening IE and going to Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Web Sites > Edit. (I don't know about IE7, but it shouldn't be much different from IE6.)

It your list goes to zedo.com (or any Z site really), it's all good; but if your list stops somewhere short like around the letter C, then something is goofing up the list, and I believe it to be AWC.

Like Red and Bazza, I rarely use Internet Explorer either so maybe this shouldn't bother me, but it does... if AWC caused that list to get severely shortened, it adversely affected the safety of IE6; and I have to wonder what else it's goofing up :eek .

14. bigbazza

Just checked it out, in IE6. Mine stops at "C" as well. :D :confused

As I don't block specific cookies (or use IE often), I am not too worried, but thanks for the headsup. Have you reported this to AWC? I am sure they would be appreciative. Bazza

15. cobrajet431

Hi Bazza / Red.

Bazza, thanks for checking that. I'm glad your results were the same as mine. Now we know that it doesn't just happen on Win2K, and that SpywareBlaster doesn't have to be involved, giving further proof that AWC is causing the shortened list. :(

I'm not going to beat a dead horse here, but if you want to repopulate that list properly, first empty it by clicking "remove all" on the IE managed web sites screen, then open Spybot and run the immunize feature. Your list will then run from A to Z as it should.
    BUT... next time you run AWC, it will truncate the list back down to C. :mad

So even though neither of us use IE, do you see my point that if AWC is causing our IE managed web sites lists to be shortened, thus reducing IE protection; I'm now skeptical about what else AWC may be doing wrong that we don't know about (?) :eek

Finally, I did try to contact Iobit about this. After a series of about six canned messages from them it became obvious I was never going to reach an actual human, so I just gave up. :banghead

... And let's not forget the problem Redryder is having with it that started this thread. Although I never had that problem, it adds to my point that there are serious flaws with AWC's immunization.

It would be nice to get some other Major Geeks input on this, because I think it's important enough to not ignore it; but like I said, Iobit doesn't want to know. :innocent

16. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hey all,

FYI, I just checked AWC on IE7 PRE-scan (as I rarely use IE-"anything"), ran a full scan, and then checked again, and my list went all the way down to "zedo", both before and after the scan.

Hope this helps someone.

g.
    PS - QUESTION (off topic, sort of I suppose): Is it "safe" to allow cookies from SECURE SITES (httpS://www....) to be saved on my PC?? I'm concerned about INTERNET SECURITY, not 'Local' (here, physically, at my PC) security. I am a novice here.

17. redryder

Guys, I finally found the solution. I contacted AWC and they actually sent me the solution. I somehow deleted the e-mail before I could post it here, but here is the contact to get help. Open AWC, Click Options, Click Help, Under Support, Click Contact. On your right you'll see the URL. It states that they don't guanutee answers to the free version, but I e-mailed the problem anyway and they sent me a file to add to the registry. This fixed the problem. I have run the program several times and it has worked every time. Let me know if this helps. Hope it helps someone because you guys have helped me many times.Thanks
    Red

18. bigbazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds