can they find real address from my ip address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 82sirhc, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 82sirhc

82sirhc Private E-2

some body some how got my ip and threatning to go to my house can they find my real address from my ip and if so can i stop it

2. 82sirhc

82sirhc Private E-2

im on aol also

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

unless they have some REALLY sophisticated tools, I doubt they could get anything more than a geographical area in which your IP routes through.

4. 82sirhc

82sirhc Private E-2

they also know my full name

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

need to know more background information..like, who are you dealing with and how did this start etc.. you may wish to contact your local authorities and your ISP if you feel you are in danger.

6. micr0dv8

micr0dv8 Private First Class

are you on a wireless network? You can go to arin.net and find out info on ip addresses but it isn't so detailed as to find a specific. If they were in range of a wireless network they could get some info.... Are they threatening you by email? There is the header you could look at ... If you were to find out the ISP that a person was using you may be able to socially engineer the information out of the ISP. Or perhaps I could run a port scanner against your ip and find info such as a username then do a web search for posts with that username.... or any info with that username....

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

They have your full name.

They know you are on AOL.

A little more information and/or a stupid AOL rep, and they can find out what they need to know.

You don't have to be a hacker to get this kind of information.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, way too much thought was put into that, LOL.

9. SHODAN1

SHODAN1 Private E-2

Don't use any sensitive information in Windows/Linux setups. Use a program such as Oubliette or put sensitive data on .txt's and encrypt them. Worked for me for years - granted, being behind 2 hardware firewalls + WEP encryption and Zone Labs helps also. Don't know if that helped at all, hope it did!

10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I agree. Tell AOL what's going on, at least, They can track all traffic to and from your IP and e-mail if they want. They should help you, if they don't perhaps you should move on to something better.

11. Lawdog2705

Lawdog2705 Private E-2

Now this is just the kind of information I AM looking for to locate someone who stole my daughters laptop. (I posted a thread under "Hope this is possible.) Her screen name keeps showing up on my AOL buddy list. Infact, it's on as I type this! I'm sorry this is happening to you, 82sirhc but, I'd sure like to find out how to locate the person I'm looking for.

12. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Take down their IP address, contact their isp.

13. Lawdog2705

Lawdog2705 Private E-2

I'm not really sure how to do that. When I click on her screen name it shows "unconfirmed internet". I guess they forgot to turn it off because it shows they have been on for about 14 hours. This is the longest I've ever seen. I thought about trying to send an IM but, with my screen name (Lawdog) I'm afraid it might scare them off.

14. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

If you are on aim, direct connect to the person and then go into the command prompt and use the netstat command to figure out what there IP address is. Then google for a site that will show you the location of the persons IP. I forgot what it was but there is one that will give you the city. I'm not sure about the address though since the website masks the last four numbers for secuirity reasons.

15. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Hmmm.

So there is a Site that constantly read the Dynamic assignments of IPs from the AOL general pool, and gets immediate access to AOL Data Bases and tells you who is using the IP, and his address???

:rolleyes: :p ;) :rolleyes: :p ;) :rolleyes: :p ;) :rolleyes: :p ;)

16. Lawdog2705

Lawdog2705 Private E-2

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. I do know the city, (Myrtle Beach), and since it's a tourist/college town, it could've been sold to someone else buy now. But, thanks again Neo! I'll let everyone know if it works. I've haven't seen my daughter's name on so far today.

17. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

the closest you can possiply get on your own by tracking the ip is the CO of the person. this will give you pretty much the city. after that, only the ISP can find out who had that IP and where.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds