Computer lockdown

Discussion in 'Software' started by ellinoralice, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ellinoralice

ellinoralice Private E-2

I have two computers, a laptop and a desktop. I use the laptop, my two kids the desktop, hopefully soon with a fixed and working network. The thing is, I am disabled and so I am not always around. Is there any software that will allow me to shut the desktop computer down at a certain time of night so that it cannot be booted up again till the morning when someone is around? I don't want my kids to look at pron or gambling sites when they think no one is on to them, and my boy is starting to stay up quite late at night. I just want him to be safe. I'd just like some control over the situation, maybe with a password?

Thanks.

EA

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

What is your operating system?

3. ellinoralice

ellinoralice Private E-2

Oh, sorry. I am not great at this kind of thing!

Desktop uses Windows 98SE. That is the one I want to control.

Laptop uses Windows Me.

Thanks.

EA

4. ellinoralice

ellinoralice Private E-2

Yes, I do need help! I don't even know what a BIOS password is! Will it allow the desktop to be used say from 8 a.m. to say 10 p.m., and shutdown automatically at 10 and not be able to be booted up till the next day?

Thanks.

EA

5. Insomniac

I would also set a screensaver and password protect it.

If you want it to shut down at a certain time, you can create a Batch File, or even better and easier, use something like AMP WinOff, which you can password protect, and set to turn off at a certain time.

6. ellinoralice

ellinoralice Private E-2

I don't understand the batch file. It seems too complicated for poor little me!

But the AMP WinOff looks great. How much does it cost?

EA

7. Insomniac

It's freeeeeeeeeeee I think.

8. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> ...AMP WinOff looks great. How much does it cost? ellinoralice <<

Insomniac is correct:
    According to Simtel.net AMP WinOFF 4.21 is freeware (meaning available to users without cost)

Good Luck!

9. ellinoralice

ellinoralice Private E-2

I've got it, I'm gonna use it!

Now all I need is to get the network fixed!

Thanks!

EA

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds