Can I remove "Hibernation" in Windows XP (Home)

Discussion in 'Software' started by oma, May 26, 2008.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

I just read that one can do that in Windows Vista. So I tried it in Windows XP as per instruction giving for Windows Vista. Never use the hibernation feature anyway and it may very well take up too much space in my 'puter.

However, it doesn't show "hibernation" on the list.

If it can be removed from XP Home, how can I do that?

Thank you.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi oma

in XP goto Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options > Hibernate tab and untick the Enable hibernation box, then reboot at some point.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

So hibernation is on, and you want it off? Should be in your power setings (right click on the screen, Properties, Screen Saver, then the Power button on the bottom right of the window.)

Towards the bottom of this: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/russel_02march25.mspx

Are instructions to turn hibernation on with XP Home.

Use Halo's method, looks much easier.:-D

E

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thank you so much Halo and Fred! Followed Halo's instructions and now I saved 510 MB!! :-D

Now I have another question though.

When I want to turn off the computer I see "standby" button. Am afraid to click on it in case something happens that I can't fix. What is it for and how if possible, can I disable that one also?

Thanks.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi oma

Standby puts your PC or harware parts ( monitor and HDD for example ) into a low power mode, but it will not harm anything if pressed by accident, yes can be disabled, however as you have XP Home and this doesnt have gpedit which has option to disable, its done by adjusting a few dlls and the registry but this route I would not advise to be honest.

Standby will be enabled if you have in your power properties any of the options set to a time as in Monitor or HDD standby, if set to "never" they wont enter standby.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thank you so much Halo for your excellent explanation. Yeah, the "standby" is shown as "never". I never accessed the power properties until today! I'm learning so much on this forum!! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds