We are driving my oldest to her first year of College tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Aug 18, 2015.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

:cry

We are headed on the 8 hour trek down to North Carolina tomorrow where she will be going to a small school down there. Clothes and other items are spread all over the place and the washing machine has been going for the last day. She figured she didn't have to start doing anything until just before we were to leave. rolleyes

I'm really excited for her, but I think it's going to be very hard when we drop her off and leave her.

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

It is hard to do but exciting also. Expect midnight calls from her. :)Later if there is a time difference. ;)Safe travels!

3. LauraR

Thanks kat. :)

I would imagine you are correct. I'm sure everytime I see her calling I'll be worrying about whats wrong for a while.

4. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Funny my first late night call was to ask how to make cake icing because they were baking cupcakes after midnight.LOL

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have a safe trip. ;)

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Wishing your daughter the very best. :)
    I'm sure she will do well in what ever field she has chosen.
    I think I can relate, even though it will be another year before my brat leaves for college.

Cheers..

7. LauraR

Haha...if I do he any late night calls, I really hope mine are that cute. LOL

Thanks Tim! I'm hoping for traffic free as well.

Thanks, sikvik!
    Yeah, it comes quickly. :(

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Safe journey Laura :) Exciting times!

9. LauraR

Thanks Emma! :) Very exciting. She is finally up packing and getting organized. :hyper

10. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

:celebrate

11. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

We had a grandson graduate last year from Wake Forest, his brother is starting this year on a baseball scholarship at Tusculum (right past the line in Tennessee), and another graduated a couple of years ago from UNC-Wilmington - North Carolina has some really good schools, great education atmospheres...I'm sure your daughter will have a great time.

Time marches on, doesn't it? ;)

12. LauraR

Thanks Caliban! :) NC is a great state for colleges, there is no doubt. There's been a major move for kids in our northeast to head down there. It must be all the harsh winters we have been having. LOL

And yes, time marches on...way way too fast.:cry

13. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

A big adventure for your daughter and I can understand your feelings Laura.
    My son met his girlfriend while she was studying at Melbourne University on a scholarship from Brazil. Her parents were very worried about their daughter being so far away and alone in Australia. After the first year of them going together, my son went over to Brazil for two months to meet her parents and her other relatives so now her parents are quite happy for her to come back to Australia for another two years to do her masters degree. Of course this time she will be staying at our place and her parents are welcome to visit as I have a 6 bedroom house and I am sure we can find a spare room somewhere :cool

How old is your daughter Laura? If you don't mind me asking....

Best wishes and don't worry about your daughter too much Laura even though you probably will as that is part of a good parent's job ;)

14. LauraR

Thanks joffa! I can't imagine my daughter going to another country! Wow. It's nice that she met your son though. :)

My daughter will be 19 this Sunday.

The drop off went very well, I am happy to say. She was excited and happy, which made it a lot easier. It's a small school and she has 3 of her friend from High School attending there as well, which is really nice. It makes the transition a lot easier, I think.

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. :)

15. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Good luck and all the best for your daughter's College years, Laura. Yeah, late teens is a traumatic time for some, with the kids spreading their wings, so to speak.

16. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Hmmm 19 sounds like a good age to be getting some independence from mum and dad and it is great she has some friends for support.
    She will probably miss mum's home cooked meals so I hope she doesn't get too homesick and I guess you will call her for a catch up chat when the house seems to be getting a bit too quiet ;)

17. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Laura your daughter will do well and hope she has a fun and educational time and Uni.

18. GeekyFace

GeekyFace Private E-2

Aw! A difficult time in any parents life. Let her enjoy her new freedoms and make sure you don't guilt her into calling or visiting home to often!

19. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

My son is also off to uni Laura next week and like your daughter, they are hopefully going to finally become independent and become model students
    Here’s wishing her all the very best in her endeavors
    My son is only going 1 hour away rolleyes so will still be kept busy i'm sure

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7Ks8sfwZxPo/maxresdefault.jpg

20. DavidGP

Looks a bit like Hogwarts Nick, but remember a time when the MVP UK group where at Cambridge in an old hall, that was Hogwarts!!

Wish him well Nick and he will do well like your girls have.

21. NICK ADSL UK

will do Dave and thanks :)

22. DavidGP

Yeah personal mobility is a pita when you have no car and have to rely on timetables of public transport, but I hope its good.

Glad she seems to be enjoying it :)

Liverpool Uni has a mix of old and new the engineering building is neat at night See HERE

Think some US Uni's have building inspired by English architecture IIRC

23. NICK ADSL UK

Thanks Laura his hall is called Gowar and Wedderburn:-D iv'e told him to stay clear of any of the broom cupboards. He has a double bed thou :confused:

Attached Files:

24. DavidGP

OMG Nick the Halls names are Harry Potter-esque

25. NICK ADSL UK

Yes Dave on my next visit i will see if they have any Gargoyles :-D

26. DavidGP

OMG you need to look up at most of the inner city building in Liverpool as we have as many as you want, sadly we also have many of the shipping companies with the sad history of the slave trade in carvings in the buildings also.

Look for a broom Nick!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds