Where Is The Win10 Party???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Anon-9aee479f8f, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Even though I had decided not to rush to update to Win10, I reserved my copy as soon as it was offered. My plan was/is to wait a few months and see how it was going for other people.;)
    Now I see all the post about Win10 and I still have not received my notice that Win10 is available for me to install.
    Beginning to feel like the Wall Flower at the party!:( Where is the Chips & Dip?:p

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm enjoying windows 10. No problems here. :)

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Looking at the Software Forum, some users are probably asking when's the funeral? ;)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Installed on 5 home computers now with no issues, although two of them had the early betas on them from last year onwards, but my main desktop and Surface Pro updated and are working well on 10.

No great difference to Window 8.1 and Windows 7 for that matter.

I would though run the checker to just check for 3rd party issues like drivers and software as some may need updating.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

As you know, I don't mask what I think are problems.
    Win 10 is a slow OS for me compared to Win 7.
    No party until they fix at the very least:
    1) individual program control of UAC
    2) default to no internet sharing whatsoever, MS can nag me for bandwidth, but don't just steal it
    3) stop selling Bing please, you are wasting my time
    4) realize when I am gaming and do NOT interrupt (death by Windows Update never happened in 7. The same manual update setting gets me a pop up that there is an update I should look at)
    5) bring back aero, I have tons of graphics power and ugly icons on my desktop
    Much about the OS itself is improved, but my the experience that matters, in my programs, is worse.

6. Anon-9aee479f8f

Yeah it is just a case of wanting what you don't have. LOL That does not mean it will be good for you when you get it. Will just have to wait and see!;)

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I had a completely painless update. It went very smoothly. I really really like it. Sadly, Lenovo, in their laziness, chose not to include my laptop model in their list of Windows 10 compatible machines and did not update their drivers. I completely blame Lenovo for having to revert back as my laptop was laggy. Not horribly, but enough that with a subliminal push from Earthling who is also using a Lenovo, I decided to go back to 8.1 and see the difference. It's pretty significant so I'll be staying with Win 8.1 on this machine. Reverting back to 8.1 took 5 minutes and was completely painless as well.

In my view, this is a win for MS and I look forward to my next machine that will run 10.

So kat...when you do get it...it's easy to try out and if it doesn't work, it's easy to go back.

8. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Actually I have most of that in my Win 7 install which I will be going back to. 6 hours this weekend beta testing Win 10 and discovering I have to allow my games in Defender. That is allowing / rebooting / updating / checking they are still allowed. Allowing in Defender fixed some games. Defender was checking every time the game wrote back to its own files which is pretty often in some games.

Laura, while I agree Win 10 is a win. Your free upgrade sure looks like a failure by MS as they neither support your present drivers nor forced Lenovo to update them. MS should have had you on the incompatibility list.

9. DavidGP

DOA you can add a #6

6) On some machines with a lowend CPU that were more designed with the original OS as Vista or 7 updating to W10 and if they become slowwwwwww I noticed this with an old netbook of mine that came with Vista, was ok, updated to Win7 quicker, W8.1 not as quick as 7 and W10 slow as a pig in mud... checked task manager and what was running plus services as a high CPU and RAM usage, traced the high usage to Cortana, disabled her and back quicker again similar to W7

Guess constant indexing could be the cause, but also I was using an underpowered machine, but those who may see a slow machine, do disable Cortana as a check.

10. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Win 10 does not like my Nvidia GeForce 7200 video card. I am not giving up DVI for VGA with onboard, so I have not updated.

11. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Maybe there will be a party after all.
    On a whim I dusted off my old original Revodrive - the first model they made. I replaced it long ago with faster hardware. I had a very stripped down Win 7 install on it. All it did was game, watch movies and surf the net. I imaged the drive and figured if I did get a virus I would lose nothing but the restore time which is usually much less than repair time. This test is on the same platform, only the boot device was changed.

time to playable TERA (character movable on screen and location rendered) using same settings of 4K max quality.
    Win 10 with twin Samsung 850 SSD in Intel RAID (2015 tests 1200 MB/s) - 32 seconds
    vs
    Revodrive (2011 tests 540 MB/s) 27 seconds
    Amazing how much stuff is happening I don't need or want in the newer OS.

12. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I took my machine from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 with zero glitches and it took me less than a day to get it tweaked exactly how I want it (including all the security stuff the world is all up in arms about).

I took my mother's machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with zero glitches and even she, the queen of "The computer is doing something and I can't get it to do what I want when I click on that button (but I don't remember which button), so I just unplugged it" had zero problems learning how it worked.

On neither machine was it necessary to reload anything from my backup disks, on neither machine did the new OS wipe anything out, and on neither machine have any of the programs or hardware we're using been incompatible with it. My laptop is less than six months old, but she's using a desktop that was built for me in 2010 and hasn't been upgraded since other than software.

I figure if the two of us can do it, pretty much anyone can. ;)

13. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Exactly right, CAN, in my and my friends case it was a bad idea. I will leave 10 on my laptop to see if it fouls itself up as well. The high end (OC, SLI and Crossfire ones) are all back at 7 because it just runs better. I am sure it will change, but for now 7 is still the gaming OS.

I am only posting this to keep the objective straight, using the best OS for the job.

14. Anon-9aee479f8f

:tiredMeanwhile I am still waiting for my notification.

15. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Katkat......click on the icon in your tray.

16. Anon-9aee479f8f

Tim it tells me my copy is reserved. I reserved it as soon as it was offered for both my Win7 & Win8.1 and both say the same thing.
    Like I said I am in no hurry to install Win10 just wondering why it has not come.

17. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Strange.....it took me right to the download screen. :confused

18. Anon-9aee479f8f

Here is what I see when I click on View Confirmation.

Attached Files:

19. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Mine was stuck like that and I messed around with Windows Update.
    Eventually I gave up and downloaded 10 for the USB drive and upgraded. I am not sure the reserved copy would ever have completed.
    Be absolutely sure you have your Windows key number written down on paper or your phone. This process is infamous for losing it.

20. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks DOA that is a good tip about the Windows Key. I think I need to write down every tip I have read on here about Win10 and have it handy especially the things I need to disable on install.

21. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

And, for info: the queue is quite hefty - lots of machines worldwide standing in line waiting for the free upgrade. The biggest roadblock seems to be OEM driver compatibility - once the handshakes are worked out between the onboard driver software and the new Windows protocols, voila! Suddenly, out of nowhere, your Win 10 upgrade is ready.

Case in point: a while back I had an ASUS 8.1 laptop here sitting beside an ASUS 7 desktop. A full 3 weeks after graduating to 10 with the laptop the desktop alerted, ready to go. Who knew?

Patience, patience. ;)

22. DavidGP

I have to agree with you in 7 is a great OS and better IMHO to XP, but 8.1 and 10 could be just as good, pity part is OEMs and drivers they seemed to have been lacking for 8 and 10 opposed to 7.

I have no issues found as yet with 10 having fully moved from 8.1 on all my machines be that Surface Pro, 2 laptops, 1 netbook but my server is still at 2012 R2, may fiddle with Server 2016 at some point as that box is a backup machine but also a test box.

23. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

24. DavidGP

On this, could try installing an older driver, I had to do this to gain the correct resolution on my netbook as the Win10 MSFT supplied driver worked but poor resolution, installing the original Vista driver for graphics, via run as admin worked a treat.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds