Windows XP keeps rebooting - can't get safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by ferretlady3, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ferretlady3

ferretlady3 Private E-2

Hello,

I'm not really too new here and have used this forum before to get help successfully, but I am REALLY stuck this time! I have a friend's PC that has tons of malware and and viruses on it. First were all kinds of pop-up for some malicious virus software, got rid of those. Then tried downloading Stopzilla. It said 'free download'. After running it for a while, I stopped it to repair what it found to see if it was a 'pay for first before removal' and it was. I went to the control panel to remove it, but it just hung. Let it sit for over an hour, then tried rebooting the machine. It gets to the Microsoft XP screen w/the moving loading bar, then a black screen, then it reboots. I tried safe mode, gets to the bottom of all of the stuff on the screen, stops, then reboots itself. Tried making a floppy boot disk. Doesn't even see it. Tried putting in the OS CD and tried booting in safe mode w/a prompt. Gets to bottom of booting screen, then reboots or just hangs - stuck. I tried rebooting in all of the other selections from the safe mode (Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Services Restore Mode, Debugging Mode, etc) and it does the same thing every time. Just gets to either the safe mode scrolling screen, then reboots or goes to the Microsoft XL loading bar screen, then goes black and reboots. All I can seem to get into is the Set Up screen but I don't know what I'm doing in there. Any suggestions?

2. Jaded_Angel_4_Life

Jaded_Angel_4_Life Private E-2

I hope someone does help you cause this is my problem too....I've been searching the forums but I can't find anything yet....good luck

3. ferretlady3

ferretlady3 Private E-2

Well, after talking to the owner of the PC, they have just decided to purchase a new machine. I am not even able to format the HD because I just can't get in! But there is someone else here who says they have the same problem. Maybe you could help them?

Dawn

4. thehawk70

thehawk70 Guest

I had the same problem and I got around it by booting to F8 and when the restart options come up I select the middle one - "last know configuration"

Works...don't ask me how or why because the very top selection SAFE MODE does diddly squat!

5. ferretlady3

ferretlady3 Private E-2

Hello Hawk70,

Hope that helps Jaded Angel 4 Life, but it did not help me. I tried that one too. Actually, I tried EVERY selection on the list after hitting F8, but not a one worked. I think the one you mentioned STARTED to work, a blue screen came up w/something, but then it went blank and the machine just rebooted itself again. I gave up and the owners purchased a new machine, but maybe your suggestion will help Jaded Angel 4 Life.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds