Hard Disk Image and Backup software.....

Discussion in 'Software' started by elazarus, Aug 4, 2007.

1. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

Now that I have an external hard drive on both my Desktops, I find that Western Digital Backup is lacking, the Retrospect from Dantz that comes with Maxtor doesn't do Image backup restore without installation AND Acronis does not schedule things to make it nice and easy for backups and Imaging....

Can anyone please suggest a software program that has a user friendly interface and will do the daily backup as well as a Image backup ......and if I really can be choosy...not in a proprietary format.

Thank you

Elliot

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I'm kind of lookin' for something along these lines also.... freeware is preferred, but not mandatory. I'd be willing to pay if it'll do EXACTLY what I need...

3. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

I downloaded Acronis but it has a few glitches....

Acronis wants to re-partition my back up HD and delete all data......all I want is a clone in a directory for safe keeping so I can reinstall it every 6 months or so and clean out the garbage that collects in the registry.

So I am not sure how to take a "picture" of my C drive with all the programs put in.

Elliot

4. tym

tym Corporal

While its old, IMHO nortons ghost 2003 is the best. While I do blame myself somewhat I reckon I just never had any luck with Acronis. I have seen others speak highly of it. Ghost 2003 has never failed me and works super.

5. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

Paragon Drive Backup works well and has a scheduler.

6. Mafwanix

Mafwanix Private E-2

It's not freeware, but I've had good success with Acronis True Image. But I am using an older version from a few years back (version 8), dunno if the newer versions are more complicated. Works great for me.

7. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

Acronis only wants to partition the destination Hard Drive. I prefer a Hard Drive (external) that I can store the Image (Clone?) of my 2 desktops and 1 laptop and be able to restore Windows and all the programs without spending 2 days on it.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Elliot

8. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

I downloaded Paragon and everytime I go ahead to do an image or a clone or a backup it shuts down.

FYI, Paragon does not do a backup by files it only does a full backup.

So, now I am back to Square one and I am thinking that the solution is to have a Dedicated Backup External for each of the 2 desktops and 1 for the Laptop and then I don't have to worry about the software clearing all data from the drive....

But I can;t help but feel that this is the final answer.

Thank you

Elliot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds