Trying to Install/Update Java

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, May 24, 2014.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

So I think I need to update Java to the newest version (ver 7 update 55 I think)

This is the problem though:
    I am advised to remove older versions before downloading new one. When running the Java Removal Tool no old versions show. In Java CP on my laptop it gave about=version 6 update 18 which microsoft report as being vulnerable. In Windows CP only two updates are present (no program) CP>Programs>Uninstall programs shows only Java 6 update 21 (64 bit) and Java 7 Update 21

Why does JavaCP show that Java ver 6 is running yet no program is visible in Windows Uninstall list nor by Java Removal tool ? Have I Java or is the 'about' spurious ? What is going on ? What to do ? :confused

Dumb_Question
    24.May.2014

HP Pavilion dm4 1050ea 8GB RAM - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the Java Removal Tool you are using, if you have not used this or have used this one JavaRa then make sure its latest version HERE and right click it to run as administrator.

Also run CCleaner and its cleaner and registry tool (run the registry one until nothing is listed for removal)

Then check Control Panel > Uninstall for Java listings and if any found uninstall them, and run Ccleaner again, then install latest version of Java and see how you get on.

3. Dumb_Question

Hi DavidGP

I don't know what Java removal tool I am using, but it is the one accessed by first going to www.oracle.com > java > download latest version (7u55) > remove older versions etc. (http://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp)

I have run CCleaner recently on the advice of _nullptr and I saw a whole stack of things in registry. I now suspect I also may have malware (see my recent post "Minor? Errors on W7 startup "...I'm thinking maybe I should sort that out before following your helpful advice here and updating Java...?

Dumb_Question
    25.May.2014

4. DavidGP

Hi DQ

Do run the app JavaRa I mention as its good at removing older versions of Java, so do follow the small guidance I gave and see if that helps.

5. Dumb_Question

Thank you DavidGP.
    I did not run CCleaner, but downloaded and ran JavaRA a you suggested, and this seemed to have worked very nicely & easily. I ended up with what I believe is the current version of Java (7u55) having removed only the two updates (I don't understand why they are only listed as updates when evidently they are complete programs but I suppose it's just a question of terminology).

Dumb_Question
    5.May.2014

6. DavidGP

Hi DQ

Glad that JavaRa worked for you, its a neat free app for this task.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds