What's the best way to test a Power Supply Unit...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Are-Oh, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Are-Oh

Are-Oh Private E-2

...without actually plugin' it into a mobo and such? Is there a way?

I have quite a few PSU's sitting around and I'm not sure what's dead and what's alive.

Thanks for your time!

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

there are psu test kits that run about 30-50$ i believe frozencpu.com sells them.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well, to see if one will "power up"... thats easy.

Get the ATX plug... the part that plugs into the motherboard... and short the green and black wires. That should make the PSU start up, even if it has nothing plugged into it :) You can test the molex plugs with a multimeter

Yellow - Black
    Voltage should be abot 12V
    Red - Black
    Voltage should be about 5V

Hope that helps :)

4. Are-Oh

Are-Oh Private E-2

Thanks, Guys!

How would you suggest I "short the green and black wires?" I just don't wanna shock the pee pee out of me. :)

5. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

I dunno what he means by shorting them out, personally I'd pick up the PSU tester :)

6. sephiroth555999

sephiroth555999 Private E-2

you have to count the 8th and 14th pins and short them with a paper clip if you start from the yellow cable at one end that is pin number one just count round to eight and then just keep going for fourteen its to the right and one down from pin eight. these pins just make the psu think its pluged in.
    hope that helps

7. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

8. Are-Oh

Are-Oh Private E-2

Thanks, Everyone! :)

Extra thanks to suesman for the terrific link! I've ordered it.

9. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Won't that jump make the PSU turn on and then power off 4 seconds later?

I've heard that some PSUs will not power up if there is no load on them. Recommended practice is to take an empty CD-ROM drive and plug it in. I've never tried it so I can't vouch for how true it is, but I've heard the rumor from more that one person.

10. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I tried that thing with the cd-rom & while it did make it come on, it still just shut back down after a couple minutes.

11. Dogin

Dogin Private E-2

Agree testor is best. Also if you find an old one that works that you are not going to use, you can short it out on a permanent basis and use it for a testor on lighting placement, fan operations etc. The usages are limitless. I used and old PSU to position lighting affects in my computer. Also cut the positive leads off (and pulled them out of plugs) an old power supply cable so I can ground the computer when it is unplugged.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds