Office XP on Vista - Outlook will not open

Discussion in 'Software' started by toehead410, Sep 1, 2008.

1. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

New Dell PC with Vista Home Premium with Office XP installed. Outlook will not open. See attached image. Outlook has yet to be opened on this PC. Word, Excel do OK if that matters. If more info is needed, please ask.

Thanks Geeks!!

Attached Files:

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

What applications and processes have you got running when you are trying to open Outlook? Maybe providing us with screenshots of Task Manager on these could be helpful. What programs do you have starting at start up too?

3. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

This help?

BIG Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You have way too many things opening on start up. You need to close some of the ones that don't need to be running on start up. Do so using a start up manager like StartUpCPL, not CCleaner.

Let us know if you need any help around doing this.

5. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

It's a new PC and I am new to Vista. I have only installed security apps, office and a few handy little utilities. My point is that much of what you see in the startup list, I have no clue yet what the heck it is...yet. If you recognize any useless startups, I am open for suggestions.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Makes sense. They pack so much stuff on start up on a new PC that you just don't need. Slows everything down. So....easier to tell you out of the startup screen shot you gave what you should KEEP at start up. Everything else you can remove using StartUpCPL. Do not use CCleaner. It does not provide a back up, so if it screws up you are stuck!

Keep the following at start up:

ehtray.exe
    Windows Defender
    RtHDVcpl
    avgnt
    firewallGUI.exe

The "Key" column shows you which tab you will find each item under in the StartUpCPL application. Once you have installed StartUpCPL you can find it by going to Control Panel and it will be listed as "Start Up". Sweet application - easy to use.

7. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

I am confused. See attchment.

Also, I am not quite understanding why a PC with 3 times the RAM, 10 times the hard drive and a processor that is 4 times as fast will not open a program that did great on my old junky, slow, cluttered dinosaur. Any insight?

Attached Files:

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I had the same problem when i got a new PC with vista and it seems to stem from the fact that vista uses "WINDOWS MAIL" not outlook, i deleted outlook from my system and after that it has run perfectly.

9. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

I would consider that option except that I use Outlook to build my contacts and calendar for my Windows Mobile Smartphone.

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

12. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Thanks BILLMCC66. No luck though.
    Also tried compatibility mode for XP SP2...no luck there either.
    Noticed a new message see only on the first attempt to run Outlook following a restart or logoff/login. See attachment. All subsequent attempts to run it will result same message as in 1st post.

BTW, thanks Lev but no luck with your suggestion either.

I think I'll give Dell support a shot at it too.

Attached Files:

13. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Have you installed all the patches for Office XP? These are up to SP3 and beyond now.

14. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Everything that Microsoft Update can find has been installed.

Just finished a chat with Dell. They tell me that Outlook XP (and all older versions) will not run properly on Vista. Some Windows Mobile forums I have seen are restating the same thing. Outlook 2003 and 2007 are the only fully compatible versions according to many users.

Am still open for suggestions if anyone has them. I guess I'll start looking at the new Windows Calendar and Windows Contacts to see if they will sync to my Windows Mobile Smartphone.

15. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Looks like Windows Calendar and Windows Contacts can not be sync'ed to Windows Mobile devices through Windows Mobile Device Center included with Vista.
    I guess I'll be buying Outlook 2003 or 2007.

I downloaded the trial version of Outlook 2007 and installed it today. After installing it, I can not find a start menu shortcut to open it. So I searched for outlook.exe and could not find it either. What the heck is going on here? :confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds