Can't Find My New Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by indyattic, Jul 17, 2006.

1. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

I have a brand new Linksys WRT54G. I could not install it properly using the Linksys software - it gave me an error message at the end. Nothing specific, just that it could not complete for unidentified reasons.

However, I was online. I decided to go Google wireless security settings and make sure I was good to go. Everything I can find tells me to put http://192.168.1.1/ into my browser bar, but when I type that I get a "server not found" error.

When I look at my network connections properties, it says that IP is what is being used though.

My kid is able to get online with his DS, but he didn't need a password. It seems to me that just can't be good.

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

go to START select RUN type CMD and click OK
    when the command windows appears type IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results here.

3. Yakodi

Yakodi Private E-2

Similar problem with my Linksys WAG354G Wireless-G Gateway Kit.

4. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

Cute dogs!!! Thanks for replying. Just FYI too - I changed modems. I was using a 2Wire Router/Modem but since the Linksys *is* a Router, I thought it would be easier to use the ZyXel Prestige 600 that Earthlink sent me when I joined.

Here's the paste:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Moms
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-88-D1-C4
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.10
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20c:f1ff:fe88:d1c4%4
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.254
    fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:23:52 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 28, 2006 9:23:52 AM

PPP adapter WinPoET v4.0 Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 72.244.122.159
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 72.244.122.159
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.69.188.186

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>c:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  5. Yakodi

Yakodi Private E-2

SetupWizard:
    I've done everything the setup said to do! Hmpf, I never managed to get a wired connection with my laptop yesterday which is why I bought the router... Thought it would be easier lol.
    The lights on the router are the same as it says they should be in the setup and everything's plugged in right... =/

My laptop sees the wireless network and can connect to it fine... I can see shared folders etc.
    Same for desktop and laptop...

By the way, i'm only able to come on this forum because I plugged my DSL modem back in. =P

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  6. Yakodi

Yakodi Private E-2

Turning off my firewall worked for me... So I guess we just need to get the firewall to let the router in... =P
    Now I'm stuck cuz I don't know my broadband username and pass... =p

7. Yakodi

Yakodi Private E-2

Okay I managed to find my username and guessed the password in the end. I am now connected to the internet through my router and my old DSL modem isn't connected to anything... Turned my firewall back on now of course...

8. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

Are we allowed to bump here?

9. Yakodi

Yakodi Private E-2

Have you tried doing what I said before you start bumping? If you have then you need to say if it helped... heh.

10. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

I didn't know you were talking to me. It appeared that you were fixing your own problem. I am going to start over.

When I first switched to DSL, I went with SBC/Yahoo. I changed to Earthlink, but kept the 2Wire router/modem instead of the Earthlink modem so DH could plug in his laptop too. At no point did I install the Earthlink software - I just used a program called WinpoET to connect originally, and I have never needed to use it to connect again.

We recently bought a Linksys wireless router. Because it seemed that keeping the 2Wire would give us too many routers, we changed to the Zyxel Prestige 600 modem that Earthlink supplied.

I have no idea how to work this stupid thing. When we first hooked it up, I couldn't find the router settings at the IP numbers I typed into my browser window. But I was online, my kids DS was online and the laptop was online.

The next morning, none of us could get online, so I rebooted the computer. At that point, I did indeed find the router located at the IP address specified, so I glanced at the settings available but since I didn't recognize anything I left them alone, except for one that claimed to hide the signal from casual signal searchers. The laptop could still connect though.

The stupid thing disconnected me again - it never used to disconnect with the old router / modem, now it does it about once a day - so I used the WinpoET thing to get back online. Suddenly the laptop can't connect. I have no idea how to make it connect again.

Today, I couldn't get online, so I rebooted again, but I can now get only get online by taking the router out of the loop and just using the modem only while connecting, but I can get the router back in the loop after I connect.

At least, I could. I don't want to type all this then not send it because I had to reboot after I typed all this stuff out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds