Ping not the usual Ping - Help !

Discussion in 'Software' started by smokeydeadlegs, Mar 25, 2007.

1. smokeydeadlegs

smokeydeadlegs Private E-2

Hi Guy's, bought a second hand Evesham Tower and flat screen monitor recently.
    When I try to fire up all that happens is the Pc pings repeatedly and the monitor swithes to energy saving mode and then nothing apart from the continuous ping :cry
    The system apparently had XP loaded and I was told that for whatever reason it had been stripped off and I believe the problem may be linked to that.
    I wish to run Windows 98SE (sad I know) on the PC, can ayone throw any light on my problem please ?
    Thanks Guy's.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What do you mean by 'ping'? Do you mean constant beeps from the motherboard when you try to boot? I am not trying to be picky about anything, ping has a different meaning on a computer. If it is a constant beep, it sounds like a hardware problem. Try reseating the RAM and make sure everything is plugged in right.

If that does not work, something (RAM,CPU, motherboard) has died. The beep codes can usually be found in the manual for the motherboard.

Can you give any information about the motherboard or the exact model of the computer you have?

E

3. smokeydeadlegs

Hi thank's for the reply, yup that is what I meant in the thread title - not the usual ping it is a constant beep.

4. smokeydeadlegs

Brilliant Private E-2, twiddled and fiddled (carefully) and it has fired up.

The previous owner had done something with XP as it states that this edition has to be registered with Microsoft, can anyone throw any light on this please as I do not have the disc.

Thanks again.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks like it is time to buy a copy of XP if that is the OS you want. I can't remember what site it was, but I have bought OEM XP disks for around $80. Another alternative would be to contact Microsoft and see how much they charge for a key. Personally, I would rather have the disk just in case you need to format for some reason.

Then again, depending on what you are going to use the computer for, Linux is a free operating system.

E

6. smokeydeadlegs

Hi Fred thank you for the reply, it is appreciated.

This may be useful info' for others: I got in touch with Microsoft via telephone and they gave me the new key - free of charge, I loaded it and the OS has fired up, I am going to check it out this week to make sure all is well, I suspect there may be a loose connection somewhere as it was not quite right but I have not tried yet since loading the key. I will let you know the outcome.
    Thanks again for your help it really is appreciated.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Glad that worked out for you! Dang, a free key? From Microsoft? Shoot me a PM with the lottery numbers..:D

Sometimes a phone call to a company can yield good results.

E

8. smokeydeadlegs

Ha, ha are they really that mean, it really was no bother and all automated via the telephone, I just assumed that they were always free, see what I can do re: the lottery no's, cheers Fred.

9. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Did they ask for personal details so they can send you a bill????? Maybe this is another security hole that Microsoft hasn't addressed yet??? ;) :D

10. smokeydeadlegs

Nope nothing Chookers - I know what you mean, I expected for their to be a catch as well.

Just rang MS Support: 08000188354 - I believe it stated personal details not necessary or optional if I remember correctly - so there you go MS taking on the guise of Santa Clause albeit a bit late - Your faith restored yet :D ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds