Do I need a wireless bridge or something else?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjmsonyps2, Dec 8, 2004.

1. cjmsonyps2

cjmsonyps2 Private E-2

To start, I am new to wireless networking. While I am technical and pretty smart, networking and wireless is new to me....

Ok, here goes. I have a PC upstairs and a Playstation 2 and soon to be x-box downstairs. Additionally, downstairs I have a D-Link Wireless Media Player. The media player communicates with the PC thru a wireless router, also by D-Link.

I want to connect both the PS2 and X-box to the internet, presumably thru the router. I am wondering what the best way to do this is.

I see a wireless bridge available, but it only allows connection of 1 piece of equipment. So I need 2?? Is there another option?

Being relatively new to this, I had thought perhaps moving the router and DSL modem to the room where the pS2/x-box/dsm are and connecting those directly to the router and then buy a PCI card for the PC upstairs. Will this work. If not, any other suggestions.

Someone on another board suggested something they called an AP? What is that??

Sorry to be so long winded with this, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm seeking options that are inexpensive and easy to set up and maintain.

Cheers.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. RickM

RickM Private First Class

For the most part if you already have a wireless router you shouldnt need anything else. A bridge is just that, you use a bridge to span a distance for example, if you are living next door to you vest friend and you had a wireless network that works great in your house but the signal wont quite make it to his house. So you would get a bridge and put it on you network then another bridge in his house and align both bridges so they can see each other then you you have bridged the houses. Now some bridges can be AP's as well and an AP means Access Point (basically wireless without a router). Im probably making it to complicated. But you shouldnt need an AP or Bridge. You wireless router should be able to handle several wireless devices. If you Playstation and X-box hae wireless capabilties it should work.

4. cjmsonyps2

cjmsonyps2 Private E-2

Neither x-box nor ps2 have wirelss capability built in (sony, microsoft, are you listening). both require a bridge to connect to a wireless network thru the wired ethernet port (which are built in to both). So my question is how can I connect both ps2 and x-box (as well as a third component which I won't complicate matters with now) to the wireless network. The suggestion was made to buy 1 bridge and a switch. I'm not sure I know what a switch is (is it a hub?).

5. RickM

The only option I know of is the D-Link DWL-810 Ethernet Bridge. You will need one for each device as I understand it. Tigerdirect has them for $64.00, try going there and read what has to say or go to D-Link.

6. cjmsonyps2

cjmsonyps2 Private E-2

I emailed D-Link and this was their response:

"There are a couple different options for you besides moving your router downstairs. One would be using the DWL-G820 hardwired to a small 5 port switch to connect your media center/PS2/X-box. I wouldn't imagine you would be using these units simultaneously anyway, but the DWL-G820 could not connect more than one unit at a time. The other option would be to hardwire a DWL-2100AP to the DI-624 and place it in point-to-point bridge mode. You would then have another DWL-2100AP connected to a switch and connect your media center/PS2/X-box. This would allow you to use your media center and a gaming counsel simultaneously. Here are some links were you can read more about these units."

and their second response:

Moving the router downstairs would be best because you would only need to worry about one wireless client (the PC) instead of 3 wireless clients. If you would like to do this then I would recommend using the DWL-G820 because you can better place the unit since it is connected via ethernet to your PC. I switch is basically a "smart hub" which is better to bandwidth flow and prevents packet collisions. The desktop switch I would recommend would be the DSS-5+.

7. RickM

I don't know. It sounds more like a sales pitch. I'm sure it will work but at what cost. If I read the information correct on ethernet bridge, it should work with your current hardware. At least I would think so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds