Can I Have More Than One Modem On One Phone Line?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I've got various telephone jacks in my home [lol who doesn't?]. I personally have internet in my room using a high speed dsl modem which is connected to the telephone jack on the wall. Someone else in my home wants to get a modem in their room and use it on their telephone jack on their wall. Of course the phone line is the same phone number. I just wanted to know is it possible to use more than one modem on one phone line in a home? He's considering using a different internet company than mine too.

Thanks

2. jblim1980

jblim1980 Private First Class

no, it will conflict the configurations of your modems , because the modem has thesame configuarion. it used for one only

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Actually you can use a dial up and dsl modem on the same line as both use difference frequencys. But as far as both having dsl not an option. Better option would be to setup a wireless router and share the one high speed connection.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Don't forget that if you have other outlets connected to the telephone line they will require filters. This includes the one connected in your friend's room. Otherwise your ADSL connection will keep dropping, if it connects at all.

Yes you can use both the audio capabality and the ADSL at the same time on a single phone line.

You cannot use two ADSL or two audio connections.

Because you can have audio through the internet (VOIP) you can have two simultaneous conversations on one line, and even ring yourself up on you conventional phone, via the internet.

If you use an audio device such as a 56K data modem or fax machine you need top quality filters to prevent interference with ADSL signals.

5. jblim1980

jblim1980 Private First Class

and also it will becomes intermittent and sometimes slow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds