Disabling onboard video on gatway gt5220

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by modlite9, Jan 13, 2010.

1. modlite9

modlite9 Private E-2

I'm trying to disable the onboard video on a gateway gt5220. The current bios setting is to only use the onboard video if a card is not detected but it doesn't seem to be recognizing the EVGA 512-P2-N738-LR GeForce 8400. The video card appears to be getting power as the fan does turn on. I've tried resetting the CMOS but that hasn't helped. I've also tried re-seating the video card. The motherboard is a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 AM2 uBTX 1394.
    Any suggestions?

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Motherboard may not have an option as if it detects a PCI Express video card it will turn on-board video off.

Are you sure you have your monitor plugged into the new video card?

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome to Majorgeeks :).

It looks like your PC currently uses 128Mb of system RAM for the onboard graphics. It's possible that if the system RAM is moved to the alternate slots, it may disallow the use of system RAM for the onboard graphics, thereby allowing the PCIE card to be triggered.

If you only have 2 slots of RAM used, power off the PC, switch the sticks to the other pair of slots and try again.

4. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Have you loaded the drivers for the new card?

5. modlite9

modlite9 Private E-2

I've tried plugging the monitor into the new video card, the screen stays black. I've also tried moving the RAM to the other slots. Is there any chance the 300w power supply isn't providing enough power for the new card?

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds