DVD+R Dual Layer??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wyatt_Earp, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Since the prices have come way down, I've been looking for a dual-format DVD burner and I see Newegg has an NEC dual layer burner.
    NEC ND-2510A - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-021&depa=0
    Should I go with this one? Or is it not worth it to go for the dual layer burner yet since there is no media for it.

This is the other one I've been looking at:
    Lite-On SOHW-812S - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-933&depa=0

Which one would you guys recommend??

Thanks.

2. kman

kman Private First Class

I like Lite-On drives. Get a black one though!!!! :p

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

I like Lite-On too. That's why it's the one I was going to get before this dual layer burner popped up at Newegg. :) No comment on the dual layer format?

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

It's hard to judge dual-layer yet. I have no idea how portable DVD+R dual-layer is going to be... even to DVD or DVD-ROM dual players. And you have no idea how well NEC dual-layer drives are. Given the history of problems with DVD formats, I'd be somewhat leery of jumping on the bandwagon. I don't know if you need special recording software, either.

However, given that the DL drive does everything else, too, it might be worth the extra $8 it costs.

I hadn't realized the drives had dropped below $100.... Now I want to check my credit card. :(

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I just got my NEC 2501A, Happy to say my first Rip/burn success!
    I'd go with the NEC, from what I have read better success rate with the NEC's.
    Dual layer is avaible (in japan)
    Seem's from other forums/reviews, In general, Lite on makes more coasters.

For burning movies/videos use premium media.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I've got a Sony DVD+R DL burner bundled with the Nero 6 burner. Ive burned a couple (it's hard to find DL media right now, obviously) and they've worked in all my friends DVD players and even in my ancient PS2, so it's my limited experience that the format is OK, at least so far.

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Well, I went with the NEC DVD±RW DL burner. It should be here today so I'll let you guys know how it works out. :)

8. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

So far so good. 1 for 1. Backed up Underworld to a DVD-R @ 4x and it works in 3 of the 4 DVD players in my house. :) I'm gonna try a DVD+RW disc and see if the old Sony DVD player can read it...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds