Primary master fails

Discussion in 'Software' started by pisapiag, Sep 19, 2006.

1. pisapiag

pisapiag Private E-2

This is my brother's computer used by his teenage daughters. The system won't boot from the hard drive. When it boots, it seems to recognize the HDD which is a Maxtor 6E030L0. But then I get the message - Primary master drive fails - and it asks me to either press F1 and continue booting from a floppy or Del to edit the BIOS. When I go in the Boot section of the BIOS, the Maxtor is listed as a boot drive. I can boot from a floppy, but if I type c: at the prompt, it says Invalid drive.
    I went on the Maxtor site to download an utility to check the status of their drive by booting from a floppy. After running the diagnostic, it seems to recognize the drive and shows that everything passes except for the - BIOS extension support - which is marked as Failed.
    The bootup process shows the following:
    Award medallion BIOS v6.0
    ASUS P3B-F ACPI BIOS revision 1006
    There is a newer revision on the ASUS web site but it's still in Beta.
    I checked the cables and power on the HDD and everything seems fine. Apparently, the PC stopped working from one day to the next.
    What should I do next? :confused:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Note down your bios settings ...then select default settings in the bios ...reboot and see what happens.

3. pisapiag

pisapiag Private E-2

I'm not in front of the computer right now but I tried that to no avail.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds