2 wireless laptops... crash my network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chigger, Jan 31, 2009.

1. chigger

chigger Private E-2

Hello all...This place seems like the best place for a crazy problem I seem to be having.

I have 3 pc's hard wired to my wrt110 linksys router. I have a Dell 1720 laptop connected wireless to the same router. Everything is happy and working great until I try to connect another (a 2nd) wireless laptop then it crashes my entire network and my internet. The only way I can get back on line is to install my router software from the beginning and reset everything.

I've went through 3 different routers (WRT54G, WRT110, and a New Belkin -N-router) and they have all done the exact same thing.

That's why I don't believe my issue is a hardware failure router issue. I've even tried using an external usb 2.0 wireless connector and by-passing the laptops intergrated ones...and this problem still occurs.

I'm at wits end and have tried everything I can think of. It doesn't matter which laptop I connect with first. Which ever laptop connects 2nd will crash all the connections even the hard wired pc's and the internet.

Any ideas will be tried and appreciated.:)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Two thoughts....in your router settings, what is the max. DHCP allowed?
    And second....have you hard wired all computers in order to get ip's established before trying to wireless connect?

3. chigger

chigger Private E-2

The max DHCP allowed is set to 50 by default, and yes the wireless laptops are the last ones I let try to connect to my network last.
    I never had any trouble with networking or internet until com**** bought out my local high speed. Then things like this shortly popped up.

I'm running perfectly now as long as I use only one laptop wirleess. I hard wired the other one just to be able to get it one line... without knocking everything else off.

BTW: Thanks for the response and concern.

4. TimW

Still strange. Hopefully someone with a little more networking exp. can make some suggestion. :)

5. chigger

chigger Private E-2

6. TimW

Ah......Vista. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds