Donating main computer with wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sierra, Dec 30, 2007.

1. sierra

sierra Private First Class

I have a main computer (A) where a wireless router has been hooked up. I am getting ready to donate this computer.
    I do have 2 other computers. One (desk top B) has a WG311 V2 54 Mbps Wireless PCI adapter. The other one is a laptop with a wireless PC card.

What do I need to do to make this other computer (B) the main computer at the site of the router?
    Do I have to take the adapter out of the desktop (computer B) if I want to have it as the main computer?

Do I have to do anything with the main computer (desk top A) which I am going to donate?

Thank you for any guidance you can give me.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What do you mean by "main computer"? With a router, there's no need to designate one computer as the main computer.

It has one network adapter, right? So, removing it would remove that computers ability to wirelessly access your router.

If you have personal data on the hard drive, you want to thoroughly erase that, right? Numerous software tools are available to wipe a hard drive, but I'm not familiar enough with them to give a specific recommendation.

3. sierra

Sorry, I am trying to figure this out. Is there a problem with me moving my other desktop into the same room where the router is? This one has an adapter card in it so it could pick up the signal in another room. I am hoping there won't be any conflicts.
    Thanks! Happy New Year!

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

This is a computer with a wireless adapter in it, right? No, moving into the same room as the router won't cause any conflicts. And, if you do move it there, you might be better off connecting it directly to the router via cable instead of continuing with a wireless connection. Indeed, I'd recommend connecting via cable unless you still have a valid reason for preferring wireless.

5. sierra

Thanks for the quick reply. Do I have to remove the wireless PCI adapter from that CPU if I do attach the cable or can I just leave it in there?

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I would try just disabling it in Device Manager. To do this, right click on the wireless adapter in Device Manager, under Network adapters, and select Disable.

7. sierra

Do you know the best way to clean the PC I am donating?
    Thanks for all your help.

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

By "cleaning", do you mean erasing everything from the hard drive or physically cleaning the computer? Assuming the former, download KillDisk.

9. sierra

Thanks for the tip. I'll use that before donating it. I know people have said to erase everything, but I didn't know what to use.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds