Need help with blue screens and possible MBR virus.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apefist, Jan 10, 2012.

1. apefist

apefist Private E-2

I recently upgraded a friend's laptop from a 200GB hard drive to a 500GB hard drive. It is a fairly old laptop (a Dell Precision from around 6 years ago). I mirrored the drive using Acronis TrueImage.

After the switch, his computer works but he says once or twice a day it will kind of freeze up and throw one of these two blue screens (linked to below). He will then power it down by pulling that battery, wait a bit and use it again with no problem.

http://imgur.com/a/dVxCk

He says the second one occurs the most (the one indicating atapi.sys). I tried to view the dump files using BlueScreenView but for some reason the minidump files aren't being created. I checked the Crash settings in My Computer and it says the dump files are ready to be created and sent to C:\Windows\Minidump but I can't find them there, so not sure what that is about. There are a few other dumps in there but the earliest is from 2009 I believe.

I have been researching it and apparently those bluescreens can be cause by a couple of things. While the hard drive seems to be the likely culprit, I wanted to make sure it wasn't any of the other options. He said he ran Memtest86 for several hours with an error (I know that's not enough time, but I plan on running it at least overnight when I get my hands on the machine again). I am also going to run CHKDSK. And I want to scan the MBR for a possible virus. This is something I need help with. Does anyone know if you need a special scanner to scan the MBR? I use F-Prot and MSE and neither of them mention if they scan the MBR during a full scan. I suppose they could be scanning it and not finding anything but I'd really like to be sure.

In either case, this is something that has been stumping me for around a week and I'd really like to get some input on it. Has anyone seen a similar issue to this?

Thank you!

EDIT: Sorry for the general vagueness of the hardware. I currently don't have the machine with me. When I get my hands on it, I will update the post with the model of the laptop, brand/model of the old and new hard drives. Is there anything else I should include?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

look in c:\Windows\minidump and attach the last few minidump files to yor next reply. I think your HD controller driver is causing problems.

The minidumps may hel diagnose this

3. apefist

apefist Private E-2

Hey,

as stated in the post the minidumps aren't being created. The last one made is from 2009 I think. The imgur album included has pictures he took of a few of the blue screens, that's the best I can do until I figure out why the dumps aren't being made.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds