Long Range Wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fishn, May 13, 2006.

1. fishn

fishn Private E-2

I need a long range connection between 2 laptop computers for passing 4+/- MB files between the 2. I don't need internet, just the 2 machines talking. Range would be around 3,000 feet, mobile, outdoors, flat but probably NOT line of sight. Preferably nothing fancy and as cheap as possible. This would be on a golf course from the 18th Tee to the Club House/Pro Shop. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA. ----- Jimmy

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

The absolute cheapest thing to do is to get a cell phone and connect it to your laptop, dial up to the Internet, and send your files that way. Talk to Verizon or Cingular (AT&T Wireless) to sign up for that. The benefit of this is that you don't have to build the network, so you don't have to pay for anything at all.

If it's literally from one point to another point and those points don't change, you should probably run a wire. Wires are the most reliable and fastest connection. That might not be practical since you have to dig a trench to bury the wire, so I'd guess you'd have to run it at the beginning of the off season. Alternately, you could get a satellite dish and install it at the 18th tee and go through the Internet.

Wireless coverage is kinda like buying carpet. You pay by the square foot. You'd be looking for with this kind of range is Outdoor Wireless WAN/LAN. They're used mainly for school campuses, hospitals, and municipal access. They're designed for hundreds of users at once, and they're expensive. On the plus side, they usually are small enough that they don't require an FCC permit.

It might be worthwhile to contact some local data communications services/contractors. They know a lot more about it than I do.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds