Error loading OS (Windows XP)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dan_The_Man, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

This morning, while running the usual stream of activites, my computer stalled, and just turned off by itself. Just before the stall however, the CPU can stopped for a few seconds, and then the whole thing stalled and turned off. I was able to get back into windows a couple times.

After a few tries though now, I cannot get in, all I get is an error sign on the boot menu just before the windows logo pops up with the loading bar. The error says something to the tune of Error Loading OS...

Any ideas? When I got back in I tried shutting down some background programs, but that didn't help. So it doesn't appear to be a memory problem.

My Rig is the following:

Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
    2x 512 OCZ memory sticks
    230 Seagate
    60 Seagate
    700W PowerXStream PSU
    2.2 3800 AMD chip
    Mamoth sized Antec case.

I think I have it all there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dan

2. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Sometimes when a PC crashes and it was doing something important at the time, or even if it had important files sitting in a cache waiting for something else to be done when it crashed, you could loose system files. The easiest thing to try then would be to so an sfc scannow with your OS disk in the rom drive. Windows will scan the hard drive looking for any missing, corrupt or changed system files and replace them with originals from the disk.

Just go to your run box and type (without the quotes) noting there is a space between sfc and the switch /scannow "sfc /scannow". It will take a while and you might have to pound the retry key to push it along on occasion, but it can't hurt. If it refuses to find some files go ahead and skip them but try the retry many times before you give up and skip.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Computers shut down because of heat. You said
    .Do you mean the cpu fan quit? If so, that's the reason the computer turned off; to protect the cpu.

If I were you, I'd open the case, turn on the computer and see if the fan on the cpu spins. If it spins and turns off or doesn't turn on at all - that's the first major problem that needs to be solved - replacing the fan.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds