Simple Screen Capture (print screen) software

Discussion in 'Software' started by m79vest36, Aug 5, 2004.

1. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Is there a good software that the Major Geeks community uses to capture a certain segment of a screen and either print it or copy it to paste it in some other application?

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I just use the print screen button. That copies the shot to memory, then just paste it in your fav editor. Alt PrtScn does the current window

3. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

Easy as 1-2-3.

4. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

I use a great program called ScreenHunter 4 (free version) from Wisdom Software Inc. that I would have thought I found here on MG because this is where I find everything but I just did a "search" and it didn't come up. I'll keep looking for it.

It's great because you can chose what part of the screen you "capture" instead of only/always taking a "shot" of the whole screen.

5. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

6. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i don't understand the whole 'print screen' thing. i don't know if mine works. i have windows xp home if that helps. aloha. PS i was just gonna ask about how people got boxes of things to appear on MG.

7. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Honestly, I didn't know either until I downloaded ScreenHunter and just followed the directions. I have to go now but I'd love to explain it to you if you don't "get it" after downloading it. If I can do it -- you can do it :)

8. Tater

Tater Tot

Just hit the "print scren" button on your keyboard (it's just to the right of the F12 key), then open Microsoft paint (or better yet Irfanview) and click edit then paste. Crop it to your liking and save it as a .jpeg. Then attach it to a post. Try one and post it in this thread. :)

9. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok i got as far as saving it to jpeg. how do you then attatch it to a post...oh with the attatchment thingy.

Attached Files:

10. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

bingo!!! you lot are so clever , how do you LEARN this stuff. i think i need a puter course !! aloha

11. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Yep- pretty simple.

I haven't done many this way or with ScreenHunter but I know with ScreenHunter you can use the "rectangle" and select what you chose to "save" at the beginning -- rather than "saving" the entire screen that you see and going in later to crop the picture -- not that that is a hard thing to do....but it's an option with the other program that's all.

12. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

.png. Save it as a .png. At 16 colors or 256 colors. A full screenshot will rarely be bigger than 35K for 256 colors, or 5K for 16.

13. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I like .png :) Saves my images with full transparancy and shadows in photoshop, jpg doesnt support and gif puts white behind the shadow.

14. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

I'm gonna download the program as well. and I've printed out this thread. aloha Laurie :)

15. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Test Screen Capture

I missing something...I captured an image with Irfranview both as a .png & .jpg but the usual way to copy & paste it here did not work for me. I dropped down to the "additional options" to attachment & clicked but nothing happened.

16. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Re: Test Screen Capture

You don't copy and paste it -- you need to UPLOAD it as an attachment.

Start your post. Then go down below box to "Attach files" and click on "manage attachments". Then you'll "browse" and find where you saved the picture you took and hit "upload" -- as long as the file is small enough it will upload to your post . It will tell you if it attached correctly or not. After you hit submit reply you'll see it "in" your post (like it was copied and pasted).

17. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Yes, I understand about the upload an attachment...I'm used to doing it with other programs such as Classmates.com or Yahoo etc...however when I click on "manage attachments" not a thing occurs. No browser opens for me to select where to attach the capture from. Don't know why it's not working for me. I can capture what I want...just did the same thing Laurie B did...same size...but can't get the upload window.

18. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Sorry, well I was confused by the way you said
    What do you mean by "no browser opens for me..."? You start a normal reply, or post. Then when you click on "manage attachments" do you get a pop-up box at all?

Attached Files:

19. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Sorry...I could have been clearer in stating that....I do get a "pop-up" box in the "manage attachments" box with the 2 "choose options" choices (these are called "browser boxes") to be specific. From here the upload button will bring forward your file holding your capture. However , I was posting my replies using the "post reply" button directly fm the auto response that "someone" has replied to your thread" notification in my email inbox. Then fm there, opened the "post reply" box & attempted to attach a capture. I found that trying to attach a capture in this way was not possible. The "pop-up" box in the "manage attachments" box failed with no pop-up. So...to re-cap, do not click on the link in your mail inbox pegg has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Simple Screen Capture (print screen) software - in the Software forum of MajorGeeks Message Board.
    This thread is located at:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39062&goto=newpost

If you can get this box to pop-up to open this way, please let me know.

20. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

There are several good programs (free). I had a keyboard without a PrtScr button and used a couple.

http://www.download.com/Screen-Print-Capture-32/3000-2384-10188787.html?tag=lst-0-1

http://www.download.com/Screen-Grab-Pro/3000-2409-7971301.html?tag=lst-0-6

http://www.download.com/EzMagnifier/3000-2347-10146549.html?tag=lst-0-12

21. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i downloaded screenhunter. its simple to use. i would recomend it for noob's. (if i can operate a program, the average six yr old should be able to manage it) :)

22. bohartb

bohartb Private E-2

thanks. looking for something to replace grabit for my father. grabit not working and, i think, taking a lot of memory. we will try the print screen first and if not those you listed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds