Will start in safe mode only anti-virus scan will not start.

Discussion in 'Software' started by James W, Jun 22, 2005.

1. James W

James W Private E-2

My wife's unit started with this problem last night. I've run Hijack-this, Spybot, and ad-aware se withno obvious problems seen so I don't think it is mal-ware but the troubling thing is that when I try to run McCafee it hangs up and then it shuts down?

:rolleyes:
    Jim

2. criminelis

criminelis Corporal

re-install mcAfee?

3. James W

James W Private E-2

Boy I was hoping you wouldn't say that! :( but thats the next step.

Jim

4. criminelis

criminelis Corporal

thats why they call it troubleshooting ;), you wont look at an exhaust when you got a flat tyre right?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Know what the problem is with that?

Mcafee uses the Windows Installer which doesn't run in Safe Mode. So if you can only boot to safe mode....

I guess we need some clarification on the thread title.

6. James W

James W Private E-2

Yes indeed thanks for the info.

The unit in question will only start in safe mode. otherwise it gives the following upon start-up of Windows 98

"Error: unsupported data configuration"

The last event before this happened was an auto downlaod from Mcafee which indicated that a resatart was needed to complete the action. My wife has also nticed that the last few times that Mcafee has downloaded items the autoscan has been disabled (which always happens at some point during an auto-load but in the past the program re-enables itself after the process) but that she had to manually go back in and reset the enable switch. which is why I thought of some sort of malware problem.

What other info would be helpful?

Jim

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ah, it might uninstall in Safe Mode under windows 98.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds