file that won't delete

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tater, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Tater

Tater Tot

Hi,
    I hit print screen to take a sceenie to post here and pasted it in paint then saved to desktop after cropping it. Now it won't let me delete it saying it's in use by a program (even after a reboot). Type of file says "scrap object". Anyone know how to get rid of this?
    Thanks

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

have you tried in safe mode

3. F18delta

F18delta Private E-2

What are the file properties and permissions?

4. Tater

Tater Tot

In safe mode it still won't delete and under properties it says file type: Scrap file

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

try deleting it through the command prompt.

6. Tater

Tater Tot

Comand prompt didn't work either. I'd like to post a screen shot of it, but these 2 files appeared while trying to make a screen shot to post here for another question. Getting frustrated.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

8. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks Kodo. I updated and ran Norton A.V. 2003 yesterday and ran a full scan and found nothing. The worm in that link is over a year old. I also checked the registry and the keys it said to delete were not in my registry. I've also checked for any strange applications that might be using these 2 files but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Whats weird is that they are nothing I downloaded, just 2 screen shots of my mobo stats from Aida32. Any other ideas, I'll try anything at this point?

9. Tater

Tater Tot

Well this makes no sense at all to me, but I cut and pasted the 2 files from the desktop to the C: drive and they deleted fine. If anyone has an explanation for this, I'd like to hear it so I can learn. Thanks for the other suggestions also guys.

10. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

HI Tater give this a try [MoveOnBoot ] Works well in most cases
    All you have to do is right click on the file you wish to deleate
    http://snipurl.com/3pi2

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  11. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks Nick, I already deleted them by moving them from the desktop to the C: drive, I'm just not sure why I was able to delete them after the move.

12. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Tater
    Glad you got it sorted :)

13. Starkman

Starkman Private First Class

Know what you mean ...

I've found the same thing true: taking stuff off the Desktop and putting it "directly" on the C drive does the trick. The catch, as I see it, and though I can can't technically explain it, is that there's a slight difference between putting something directly on the Desktop (in Win9X Explorer it's the first location listed) verses putting something on the Desktop the "correct" way: C:\Windows\Desktop. This seems to be the "correct" way.

It's a routing issue of some sort, and I've found that when placing items on the Destop via C:\Windows\Desktop, I have less trouble with them all the way around (namely deleting items, but other nuances as well).

Hope this helps,

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In 2K or XP, it won't be C:\windows\desktop, assuming thats what he is using.

It will be C:\documents and settings\"user profile\desktop.

Now if the filename is especially long, its plausible that the it is past the 256 character limit of the OS (or is it NTFS? I forget), and hence, it gies you errors deleteing it.

Moving it to C:\ would fix that, and renaming, if it lets you, will fix that.

NTFS has all sorts of little quirks.

15. Tater

Tater Tot

It wasn't over 256 characters and I never thought of trying to delete it from the desktop folder, I just tried from the desktop itself. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds