Basic Help Installing a Nvidia GeForce 7800 (AGP)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daseler, Jan 7, 2008.

1. daseler

daseler Private E-2

-First and Foremost... I am not much of a geek.
    It is very likely that answer to question(s) may be very simple, so do not overlook it.

I am attempting to remove an old video card and install my new Nvidia GeForce 7800 in what I believe is the AGP slot.

Yet I have not been able to remove the old one. I have not undone any screws around the old card simply because I do not know which ones to undo (if any at all) and am not sure if I have the right screwdrivers.

Also could I damage the computer if I attempt to remove it too forcibly?
    I did some quick attempts at simply pulling the old one out but I was afraid I might hurt my computer....
    Advice/instructions on to efficently remove the old video card and install my new one would be greatly appreciated since I have never done this before... in fact I had never even opened up my computer previous to this.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)

It's a fairly simple procedure, you'll most likely need a Philips screwdriver, also known as a crosshead) and undo the screw that's keeping the card in place at the back of the case.
    Then there's probably a small lock on the agp slot which you'll need to pull down and then just slide the card out.
    With regards, to putting the new one in, it's just the same as taking one out but in reverse ;)

Make sure you uninstall the drivers for the current one before removing it and installing the new card. You can do this from Device Manager by right clicking on the current AGP card, and selecting uninstall.

Let us know how it goes :)

3. hotrod my pc

hotrod my pc Private E-2

Hope it works out for you on your first adventure in upgrading your pc.:)You are not alone in feeling a little uncertain about whats inside the box. I knew that same feeling from when I first started to upgrade my pc and now I am at the point where I am going to buy the parts to build my own comp.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you're really concerned, take it to a small independent PC store (hopefully the same guys you bought the card from ;) ) and explain to them your dilemma, and then say "hey, will you install this card, and let me see how it's done?" and they probably will say "did you buy the card from us?" and you'll probably say "no, but....." and they'll probably laugh and say "OK, but next time, buy your hardware here, and we'll be happy to help with installation, software, etc....". Watch 'em install the card, then tip the dude $5 or $10 and say "thanks! You're my new PC shop!" Everyone will be happy, there will be much joy and glory, and world peace will spread like warm syrup over a stack of hot pancakes..... ahhhhhhh.... pancakes.....

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

If only it were that simple.... :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds