Connection Issue W/ Charter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MyTown_Matt, Mar 5, 2008.

1. MyTown_Matt

MyTown_Matt Private E-2

I have a client who called Charter for internet support, for connection trouble. They were connected through a router which they mistakingly told charter. Charter walked them through "a very complex IP configuration." Asked them to restart, but informed them after the restart they would no longer be able to use their router, but if they would like they could send out a technician to install a charter router, and it would only cost $5 per month to rent.

The client has two computers, one is a desktop, the other is a laptop. The desktop is the one connection support was issued on, the laptop was unknown to Charter. The desktop does not have connection unless it is connected directly to the modem, the laptop can connect directly or wi-fi through the router.

I walked the client through checking to see if he had a static IP, which he did not. I was curious if anyone knew what Charter did or how to fix it. I thought it may have been possible that Charter reprogrammed the clients winsock to not allow connection through the router.

If anyone has any incite into this my client would very much like to use his router again! Thank you

2. matrixblue

matrixblue Private E-2

He can undo all the changes made to his router by reseting it. Refer to your router manual for instructions on how to do that but usually a matter for pressing and holding a small button with a ballpoint button for a set amount of time.

3. MyTown_Matt

MyTown_Matt Private E-2

I will have him try that but I don't believe the changes were not made to his router, before Charter helped him acquire his IP they had him connect directly to the modem.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds