Computer wont start

Discussion in 'Software' started by tvwatchr, Mar 10, 2007.

1. tvwatchr

tvwatchr Private E-2

Hello All, I need help.

I have a Compaq Laptop running XP. I cannot get the laptop to start, for the last hour it has opened the screen to start in safe mode, but when it tries to open in safe mode, it just goes back to the welcome screen and then the screen to start in safe mode again.

I got a message the other day that the computer could not find my user profile because it was corrupted and would open a seperate profile. I then made an different user and deleted the original user.

How do I get this thing to work again?

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

At the boot options screen (safe mode etc) select 'last known good configuration'.

When you get access copy off your data somewhere else.

let us know if that works

Studio T

3. tvwatchr

tvwatchr Private E-2

I tried that. No matter what choice I select, it just cycles right back to the screen with the choices:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command

Last Known Configuration

Start windows normally.

I cant get it to start no matter what I choose.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hopefully you saved your data when you had the first warning and you have the compaq recovery disks because that is your next step, i'm afraid.

Studio T

5. tvwatchr

tvwatchr Private E-2

I do not have a compaq recovery disk, or at least I cant find it. What do I do once I get it?

6. tvwatchr

tvwatchr Private E-2

I finally got the recovery disk sent to me, what do I do now?

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hi there tvwatchr,
    First you need to make sure the pc will boot from the CD; Insert the CD an restart, keeping close watch on the screen.
    If you see a message which says 'press any key to boot from CD' do so or the system will march on and try to boot from the problem drive.
    If it doesn't boot from the cd or you don't see the message, you will need to change the boot order or priority in the pc BIOS or setup program.

To do this you need to tap a key several times (I think it is the F5 key) as power on the pc. Watch the screen it may be F2 or DEL.

When you are in setup you will need to look for Boot order or boot priority, probable the second screen you come to. Make sure that CD comes before hard drive.

Reboot

Follow the instructions that appear. I'm not sure if your Compaq will offer the nomal Windows install or a proprietary Compaq way.

Studio T

8. tvwatchr

tvwatchr Private E-2

Ok guys, I have no idea how the hell I did this but, I followed along the steps and followed the step by step guide on widows website. I deleted my partition and then tried to format the partition. Once it tried to restart, it said that there was no hard drive recognized. What did I do wrong and how do I fix this?

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Install errors during first reboot are usually due to drive overlay programs, which are incompatible with XP.
    Please post details of your XP CD and what it says in BIOS about your hard drive so we can get the settings right.

Studio T

10. tvwatchr

tvwatchr Private E-2

OK Im back lookin for more help. The miracle in all this is that the laptop has not been thrown through the window. Heres what I did:

Started with recovery disk in cd. started comp with cd.

Formatted Partition 1 (57734 MB)

did the long format using NFST (or whatever the 4 letters were). I did not use the quick option.

After about 15 minutes and 100%, instead of copying the files I got a blue screen with the following error message:
    DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS.

Technical Info:
    xxxx STOP: 0X000000CE (OXF7997667,0X00000000,OXF7997669,0X00000000)

Does this mean my hard drive is shot?

Any help will be appreciated.

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

This problem was mostly reported with Windows 2000 installation problems, although it has affected XP.
    The solution is to download the manufacturer's own disk partition tool and run that first, then install Windows to that partition. Or you can try one of the utilities from MG.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads8.html

Manufacturer's tools are available from

http://www.asci-red.net/tools.htm#hmt

Studio T

12. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

It could be but you might try a low level format and see if that helps and the hard drive format your thinking of is ntfs.;)

13. tvwatchr

tvwatchr Private E-2

Im back for more again. And I want to thank everyone for being so helpful.

I was able to successfully install windows XP on the computer. I installed the programs from the Application and Driver Recovery CD.

I turned my computer on and now I have a black screen. I get the inital screen that says something to the effect of press <esc> F10 or F12 but once it leaves that screen it goes black.

I have tried to insert the XP disk again to reformat the comp, etc, but it wont boot up with that disk.

I hit esc, didnt change any boot order but now have the following message:
    SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Drive ): Toshiba MK6025GAS-(PM).

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A Failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue.

I just want to confirm, does this mean my hard drive is shot? Is there anyway to fix this?

14. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Talk about unlucky!
    Yes I think you are in line for a replacement drive, and I would guess that its partial failure before caused the earlier problems.

sorry bout dat

Studio T

15. tvwatchr

tvwatchr Private E-2

Just did a HDD Test in BIOS and it PASSED, does that mean its not my Hard Drive?

16. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I've never seen a hard drive test in bios how does that work?

studio T

17. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

It's a function of the S.M.A.R.T. feature that comes on some machines. Stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology. You can use it to test a hard disk when you can't get the computer to boot. I've used it on a machine ages ago but I can't remember what the results were. I think the results said it was okay but the disk was actually faulty. Could be wrong, the results might have matched the disk status.

Also, can't actually remember if the program is installed on the hard disk or the computer somewhere such as in BIOS. I do know that it's turned off on most computers so most people won't notice it's existence. It slows down booting but is worth turning on if you're starting to wonder about your hard disk. Watch carefully when your computer boots up and you may find you have it. It can be turned on or off in the BIOS settings - one reason I think it may be part of the BIOS.

18. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I repeat I have never seen a BIOS offer to perform a test and would be interested to learn which one it is that does this.

It is true that SMART technology (introduced by IBM in 1992) reports through the bios. The technology itself is incorporated into the hard drive itself and can perform two different functions.

It monitors various mechanical parameters which experience has shown ARE PREDICTIVE of some sort of failure.
    Hence the original failure warning.

Some versions can also 'turn off' access to failing sectors, redirecting calls to currently good ones.
    hence the subsequent apparent good drive report.

Nevertheless once sector(s) have started to fail others will follow and the drive is on it's way out. A user should only then use it for things he is prepared to loose because total failure may suddenly occur at any time.

Studio T

19. tvwatchr

tvwatchr Private E-2

SudioT-

I believe it was in the advanced section of BIOS. It wasnt worth a damn as I replaced my hard drive a few days ago and evrything is up and running now.

I want to thank everyone for all their help.

20. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Glad you are sorted, especially very much by your own efforts.

Studio T logging off

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds