Autochk program not found?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ewicatcher, Mar 14, 2006.

1. ewicatcher

ewicatcher Private E-2

I just purchased Norton System Works 2006 and was attempting to install it over the 2005 version. Norton recognized the older version and was going to uninstall it before installing the 2006 version.

I received some error message toward the end of the install that there was an error in the install. Without rebooting I tried to uninstall the 2005 version but was unable since there was an uncomplete install or some such nonsense. Anyhow, I gave it a ctrl, alt, del. Now I cannot get back into Windows just the blue screen of death...

Now I get the message that the autochk program is not found. I did some searching on the internet, and found a person with a similiar problem. It was suggested to him that he use PTEDIT to fix his problem.

I downloaded this program and put it on a floppy but my computer will not boot from it. I also tried to use Windows XP boot disks (6 total) but at the end I got a error message that the drive is not mountable? I would like to try the PTEDIT program but I cant get it going.

The computer cycles over and over and each time I get the message that the autochk program is not found. I believe it has to do with:

"If the computer is rebooting then most likely the NTFS partition has been configured as a "hidden NTFS" parition, which is 0x17 (hex) or 23 (decimal) in the "partition type" field of the partition table. XP seens to treat this in the following manner: if the partition is "hidden", then it should pretend that the partition does not exist. If the partition does not exist, then the pathname of the autochk.exe file is inaccessible. You can download a free tool called "PTEDIT" (do a Google search with "PTEdit download") which runs from a DOS boot disk and will allow you to simulate the situation, so that you can see the results. For your system partition, type "17" (which is hexadecimal) or select from the list options "hidden NTFS" and it will automatically select the numerical value for you. Tell it to save the changes, and you will get exactly the results you described."

I don't know how to proceed, your help would be most appreciated.

Shawn
    Dell 4100
    Pentium 1Ghz 384 RAM
    Windows XP SP2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds