do you need AVG cleaner and Spybot on your startup menu?

Discussion in 'Software' started by kat1234567, Feb 23, 2009.

1. kat1234567

kat1234567 Private E-2

I am talking about the tray that is on the right, i have avg and spyboy both on there at all times, all i know is my computer takes forever to get the internet to come up, it is so slow and i have dsl. but you have to wait like a minute for the internet to finally sign on, what is up with that. i am thinking it is avg and spyboy on the tray, shouldnt it not be there and just only be on the desktop, thanks so much, i would love some help.

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Avg is supposed to be there because it is running to help prevent virus attacks on you computer.
    Spybot is a run as needed program and should be on the desktop. I haven't seen it running in the back ground before

3. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

You need AVG to show there. I assume that you're talking about Spybot S&D?

If so, disable (untick) the tea timer in advanced mode>tools>resident because it's resource hungry.

EDIT: While at it, you may want to "disable" the tea timer in "System Startup" in Spybot as well by taking the checkmark out if it's there.

Personally when I installed Spybot I opted out of the tea timer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  5. kat1234567

kat1234567 Private E-2

thanks, yeah we have the teatimer, okay let me go try this, hold on.

6. kat1234567

kat1234567 Private E-2

okay, so i just disabled the tea timer, now my question is do i go back and click back on default mode instead of advanced?

7. kat1234567

kat1234567 Private E-2

thanks i did that as well. thank you.

8. Hyphen

Hyphen Private First Class

AVG definitely should be there if you want to be notified when your system may be in harm.

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

Your choice kat. I leave it in the advanced mode because it won't interfere with Spybot's functions that I know of.
    Did you reboot after disabling the tea timer? That way you know for certain if it's gone from the Taskbar. Hopefully, you boot time will be faster. :)

10. kat1234567

kat1234567 Private E-2

oh , i didnt restart the computer, I will do that, so i went into the advanced mood and it said that it may do harm to my computer if i dont know what i am doing, or something like that it was just talking about the advance mode. it didnt say that on the default mode.

11. oma

oma MajorGeek

As per pic, did you only remove the check from the Tea Timer? Hope you haven't unchecked the SD helper?

What box, if any, did you uncheck in Spybot's "System Startup"? It's supposed to be the Tea Timer, that's all. If unsure if it was the Tea Timer, put the "tick" check back in the System Startup where you removed it.

I can't show the unticked box of the Tea Timer in a pic because I installed Spybot without the Tea Timer, so it's not there in my case.

Attached Files:

12. kat1234567

kat1234567 Private E-2

oh gosh, you had me scared there for a second, but no, i didnt remove teh sd helper, it is still on there, whew, lol, i was scared.

thanks again for your help,

13. oma

oma MajorGeek

Now you had me scared as well for a bit. My bad, didn't want to scare you. :-o

When reading your response now I realized that Spybot does have a warning when you go into Advanced Mode. It just tells you that you should be knowing what you're doing prior to making any changes. Had forgotten that since I have it in this mode for years!! Should have warned you about that.

Hope that all is okay now.

14. kat1234567

kat1234567 Private E-2

yeah, it is so much better, thank you soo sooo much.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds