made a mistake

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by foogoo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I made a mistake and joined linkedin, or something out there that has everyone emailing and calling me. Somewhere out there I must be listed as the IT guy for my company. Our main office is in NC, I sit here in a district office in Ohio, yet everyone who gets me on the phone thinks I am in NC. They say they dialed a NC exchange. They want to sell me all kinds of enterprise solutions, attend seminars, and have all kinds off free lunches!! Until I tell them I am in Ohio! I tell them no thanks and click unsubscribe on the emails. Now I have heard they unsubscribing is the worse thing to do, it proves they have a real email box and they sell your email to the next jerk, any one else heard that?
    I went on linkedin and try to delete my account and go throgh pages and pages then as I get to the end it would give me a server error page, they got me and there ain't no getting out, who are they they Mob? So the next best thing, I went on there are changed my profile, no longer do I work in the IT profession, I am a dirt farmer or something crazy, I forget. Doesn't seem to stop the info that got out there previously.
    Word to the wise keep your info private.

Anyone else have a horror story to share?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

That is not surprising with Linkedin.

I have had a couple of friends put up their profiles. I think part of it is that you somehow give them access to your contacts. All the sudden I had all this email spam crap from them that my friend was asking me to join, which was a bunch of nonsense. The company was sending out spam on 'their behalf'.

I blocked them and gave them the worst rating on WOT. lmao...it's all I could think of doing since I wasn't a member.

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Isn't social networking great.

I get email from time to time saying someone is inviting me to join Linkdin but it doesn't say who. Since they feel the need to keep their identity secret, I'll do the same. I just delete them.

MG and a couple of other boards are about as social as I get on the Internet.

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

What's really pathetic is many prospective employers troll social media sites as part of checking a person's background.

What's even worse is I recently saw an online article (can't remember the source) that stated a profile and posts on Linkedin are seen as a "plus" by some employers since Linkedin is considered a business-to-business networking site; not a check-out-the-new-picture-of-my-dog site such as Facebook.

I have set up a Linkedin account for my business (sarcastic thanks to American Express Payment Services for the invite); however I put the business name only - not my personal name or details.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I definitely won't stay "linked in".

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Login and at the upper right, click on settings. Dig around and you will find ways to make your profile private. Continue to delete emails, or set a filter and they will die eventually.

Obtain the correct contact in NC and give the switchboard publically found on the company webpage. If not, the public switchboard at any other company will discourage the sellers. ;)

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I read that too.. I even read a job posting that required a knowledge of linkedin and some other site.. really?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds