Memory Management Issues in Windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by mr_flea, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

I recently upgraded my computer with a gigabyte of ram, thinking that it would speed many things because I have many applications that tend to use a lot of ram. It sped a lot of stuff up, but there's something I notice every time I visit task manager. It seems to avoid using about 400 megabytes of the ram. Instead, it dumps it all in swap, frequently using about 500MB of it. It didn't really bother me until now, when I was trying to edit a rather large image in GIMP. It was going pretty slow, then when I was almost finished it popped up a balloon tip detailing that it's running out of swap and is increasing my swap space. This took my valuable hard drive space and made me very angry. Additionally, in task manager, it showed that it was using 1.04GB of swap, and it had 180MB of ram free. That just isn't right. Upon closing GIMP, it's using 721MB of swap and has 231MB of ram free, which is a lot more usage than normal, leading me to believe that it's not unloading some stuff from ram. This computer seriously mismanages memory. Is there a way to correct this? I'd like to avoid 3rd party applications that run in the background, but if that's all that will work I'll give it a try.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

EDIT: I've tried a few registry hacks, but those didn't seem to work either.

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

*bump* Anyone?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds