How do you like your Vegemite (census)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbazza, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

If it's like Marmite I love it on thin toast :drool
    so how do you lke your Marmite :confused
    http://www.marmite.com/

3. bigbazza

Marmite is like Vegemite from what I remember. It has been a very long time since I tried Marmite. :-D Bazza

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

What on earth are Vegamite OR Marmite??? :confused

Are they like margarine, which is a butter substitue?

5. bigbazza

Visit the links in #1 and #2 posted here. No it is not like margarine. It is thick and black like what they cover roads with. Some say it tastes and smells like that also. :-D

It is Australia's favourite sandwich spread. You can spread it over butter or margarine, or leave the butter or margarine out. Use it like peanut butter or peanut paste.

Don't spread it on too thick as it is overpowering if too thick.
    I even took jars to Sierra Leone (west Africa) with me when I worked there so as not to miss out. :-D

Bazza

===

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Vegemite, yeast extract and marmite are all the same thing, and I love them spread THICK on toast with lots of margarine too. It's actually really healthy stuff for you - packed with vitamins - but you either love it or hate it.

I brought several jars over when I came to the US, but gradually they ran out, so although I heard about the "ban" we brought some more back last Christmas in our luggage. Now I know why no-one batted an eye at us doing so. Gotta love these hoaxes.

7. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

hey bazza thick and strong the only way to have vegemite toast or untoasted i would eat it with a spoon

8. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

You can cook with it it adds a great flavor

9. LauraR

Sounds yummy. :-D

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yeast extract made by a chemist. MMMM sounds well, it sounds disgusting, but I have never tried it. What is that like Spam for the folks down under? :yum

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Aquired taste are both Veg and Marm, can personally take of leave them, tastes ok, wouldnt rave over them and go out of my way to buy it.

12. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I used to spread marmite thinly on toast :yum but like Halo says..I can take it or leave it..

13. bigbazza

Welcome back under the Kestrel name. :major Other name was not you. :-D Your posts are back, too, and congrats (I think) on the malware fighter bit. I still remember our first posts and replies. Bazza

===

14. bigbazza

Never tried that. roflmao Bazza

===

15. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

16. Kestrel13!

It;s in the post :-D Enjoy

17. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Suuweeeeetttttt! I never knew you were psychic and got my home address :-D Must be the power of Vegemite!!!! ;)

18. Kestrel13!

roflmao @ psychic

Anyway they have squeezable everything these days don't they

19. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

:eek

Yes, I guess they do. Just not Marmite over here because it seems to be not a natural flavor for Americans. Those of us raised on it who live over here get withdrawals symptoms at nearly 4 quid for the smallest jar!!!!

20. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I've never tried it,I believe its like alot of things though you have to be force fed it from an early age to get a taste for it ala tripe and sheeps brain :-D

Now there's a world recession we may all have to start eating things like marmite and sheeps brain again,a jar of marmite and a loaf and you've fed the kids :-D

21. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK...slight difference in the contents of marmite to tripe Rikky ;)

22. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

You can prove all kinds of things with facts :-D

23. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Google is your best friend ;)

24. bigbazza

Stating the bleeding obvious, Lev. That's expensive. :major Bazza

===

25. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

You can even get different flavours of Marmite - I've currently got original :yum, Guinness :drool and Champagne :p

26. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Nothing wrong with tripe or sheeps brain Rik, as long as it's properly prepared. I can't talk about these spreads as I've never tried them and at the price I may never try them. Tripe is good in stews but brains are delicate and mushy, I prefer sweetbreads.;)

EDIT: I see marmite is made from yeast, must be quite bitter.

27. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Very Augie.....kinda like British beer with added Guiness, Worcestershire sauce and the alcohol removed. :-D

28. LauraR

None of this discussion is making me ever ever want to try this stuff. :puke More like run.

And jeez, augie. I'm thinking I won't be eating for a bit.

29. Kestrel13!

Were any of those limited edition flavours?:-D lotta that about too these days..limited edition chocolate..limited edition drinks....limited edition toilet roll...rolleyes

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Good grief! I fully accept, and applaud my ban from Canada now. EWW!:puke

No offense Augie, but that is just, well, not my version of food.

31. bigbazza

32. augiedoggie

No offense taken.:) I don't know why you say it's a Canadian thing as these are eaten worldwide, and sweetbreads are considered a delicacy, even in the US.;) Though at $10/lb I'd rather get a good steak!:yum Now back to the thread at hand.:-D

33. augiedoggie

Well, that doesn't sound too bad at all. Mum used to sneak brewers yeast into what she could when I was a kid so that bitterness wouldn't be too unfamiliar though I'm sure more intense. I'll give it a shot if the opportunity arises.

34. bigbazza

My Mum used to cook Sheep's brains.:drool :yum :-D Bazza

35. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Can you not get it in Canada?

36. augiedoggie

Oh, I know it's available here (we still have loyalists :-D) but I live in a very French area so no one is going to stock it locally. There's most likely an online store stocking it but I'd rather get another 9800GT first.;)

37. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Won't taste as good but more people will probably enjoy that ;)

38. newbielee

newbielee Private E-2

well done bazza the great aussi nz battle of spreads but i will try the bbq recipies
    marmite is NZ
    vegemite is Aus
    for the people who dont know God help us if china start making either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds