ASUS RT-N12 router - unable to access administrative settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crabby1, Nov 8, 2010.

1. crabby1

crabby1 Private E-2

Using software supplied with the router, I have verified that the router address is 192.168.1.1 but when I put that address into my browser (IE8 or Chrome) it just hangs. Turning my firewall off makes no difference. I am using a computer which is cabled to the router. and have turned off all wireless devices.
    The router is working fine and I am connected to the Internet (or I wouldn't be sending this). I would like to upgrade the firmware and change the security, but can't figure out how to get at the settings. Perhaps I should just be happy that it works!:-D
    Help, please, and thanks.

2. crabby1

crabby1 Private E-2

Never mind. The problem was solved using the oldest trick in the book. Turned everything off. Drank a beer. Turned everything (router, modem, computer) back on. Typed 192.168.1.1 into the browser. Worked fine.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, crabby1.

Thanks for the quick fix - I've now added the 'Drink a beer' step to my standard Network Troubleshooting Procedures. :drink

Welcome to MG - you'll fit right in. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds